Age-specific contributions to changes in the period and cohort life expectancy
Period life expectancy has increased more slowly than its cohort counterpart. This paper explores the differences between life expectancies at a given time (the gap) and the time required for period life expectancy to reach the current level of cohort life expectancy (the lag). Additionally, to understand the disparity between the two life expectancies we identify and compare age-specific contributions to change in life expectancy. Using mortality models and historical data for Sweden, we examine the effect of mortality changes over time. Our results indicate that the widening of the gap between the two life expectancies is primarily a consequence of the dramatic mortality decline at older ages that occurred during the twentieth century. These results imply that the divergence between the two measures is likely to become even greater in the future as reductions in deaths are concentrated at older ages.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cai:popine:popu_p1985_40n4-5_0770 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lloyd Demetrius, 1979. "Relations between demographic parameters," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 16(2), pages 329-338, May.
- John Bongaarts & Griffith Feeney, 2002. "How Long Do We Live?," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 28(1), pages 13-29.
- S. Mitra, 1978. "A short note on the taeuber paradox," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 15(4), pages 621-623, November.
- John Bongaarts, 2005. "Long-range trends in adult mortality: Models and projection methods," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 42(1), pages 23-49, February.
- Noreen Goldman & Graham Lord, 1986. "A new look at entropy and the life table," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 23(2), pages 275-282, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dem:demres:v:13:y:2005:i:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.