Empirical Analyses of Industry Stock Index Return Distributions for the Taiwan Stock Exchange
We study the daily return distributions for 22 industry stock indexes on the Tai-wan Stock Exchange under the unconditional homoskedastic independent, identically distributed and the conditional heteroskedastic GARCH models. Two distribution hypotheses are tested: the Gaussian and the stable Paretian distributions. The performance of the stable Paretian distribution is better than that of the Gaussian distribution. A back-testing example is provided to give evidence on the superiority of the stable ARMA-GARCH to the normal ARMA-GARCH.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rachev, S.T (ed.), 2003. "Handbook of Heavy Tailed Distributions in Finance," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780444508966.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Yu Chuan Huang & Bor-Jing Lin, 2004. "Value-at-Risk Analysis for Taiwan Stock Index Futures: Fat Tails and Conditional Asymmetries in Return Innovations," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 79-95, 03.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-547, August.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 2015. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: THE WORLD SCIENTIFIC HANDBOOK OF FUTURES MARKETS, chapter 3, pages 39-78 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394-394.
- Chiang, Thomas C. & Doong, Shuh-Chyi, 1999. "Empirical analysis of real and financial volatilities on stock excess returns: evidence from Taiwan industrial data," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 187-200. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cuf:journl:y:2007:v:8:i:1:p:21-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.