Empirical Analyses of Industry Stock Index Return Distributions for the Taiwan Stock Exchange
We study the daily return distributions for 22 industry stock indexes on the Tai-wan Stock Exchange under the unconditional homoskedastic independent, identically distributed and the conditional heteroskedastic GARCH models. Two distribution hypotheses are tested: the Gaussian and the stable Paretian distributions. The performance of the stable Paretian distribution is better than that of the Gaussian distribution. A back-testing example is provided to give evidence on the superiority of the stable ARMA-GARCH to the normal ARMA-GARCH.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-47, August.
- Chiang, Thomas C. & Doong, Shuh-Chyi, 1999. "Empirical analysis of real and financial volatilities on stock excess returns: evidence from Taiwan industrial data," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 187-200.
- Yu Chuan Huang & Bor-Jing Lin, 2004. "Value-at-Risk Analysis for Taiwan Stock Index Futures: Fat Tails and Conditional Asymmetries in Return Innovations," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 79-95, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cuf:journl:y:2007:v:8:i:1:p:21-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.