The Performance of the 1990s Canadian Labour Market
There is a general sense that the 1990s labour market was unique. It has been characterized by notions such as "downsizing," "technological revolution," "the knowledge-based economy," "rising job instability," and so on. This paper provides an extensive overview of the performance of the 1990s labour market, and asks just how different it was from the 1980s. It goes on to ask if the facts are consistent with many common beliefs and explanations. Macro-level topics include: 1.Has the nature of work changed dramatically in the 1990s? 2.Has there been a continued ratcheting up of unemployment? 3.Have we witnessed rising job instability and increased levels of layoffs? 4.Did company downsizing increase in the 1990s? 5.Why did per capita income growth stall in the 1990s? 6.For a worker with a given level of human capital, has there been a deterioration in labour market outcomes? The paper concludes with a discussion of the overall performance of the 1990s labour market as compared to the 1980s.
Volume (Year): 26 (2000)
Issue (Month): s1 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8|
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lin, Zhengxi & Picot, Garnett & Yates, Janice, 1999. "Rising Self-employment in the Midst of High Unemployment: An Empirical Analysis of Recent Developments in Canada," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1999133e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Corak, Miles & Heisz, Andrew, 1996.
"Alternative Measures of the Average Duration of Unemployment,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(1), pages 63-74, March.
- Corak, Miles & Heisz, Andrew, 1995. "Alternative Measures of the Average Duration of Unemployment," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1995083e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, July.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1998. "What Makes an Entrepreneur?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 26-60, January.
- Blanchflower, D.G. & Oswald, A., 1991. "What Makes an Entrepreneur?," Economics Series Working Papers 99125, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Schuetze, Herb J., 2000. "Taxes, economic conditions and recent trends in male self-employment: a Canada-US comparison," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 507-544, September.
- Herb J. Schuetze, "undated". "Taxes, Economic Conditions And Recent Trends in Male Self-Employment: A Canada-U.S. Comparison," Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers 11, McMaster University.
- Granet Picot & Zhengxi Lin & Wendy Pyper, 1998. "Permanent Layoffs in Canada: Overview and Longitudinal Analysis," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(5), pages 1154-1178, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:26:y:2000:i:s1:p:7-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.