Unemployment Insurance Design and Its Effects: Evidence for Uruguay
Using unemployment insurance records and social security labor histories, we provide evidence of the impacts of recent changes in the unemployment insurance system of Uruguay. We estimate the effects on unemployment duration and post unemployment wages. Two main changes are considered: the modification in the scheme of payments —from a lump sum during six months to a decreasing system of payments during the same period— and extension in the duration of the benefit up to one year for workers 50 or older. We consider different impact evaluation techniques (propensity score, difference in differences and regression discontinuity), and find that the change in the payment scheme has implied a small reduction in unemployment duration, with no effects in terms of subsequent earnings. The possibility of extension of the unemployment insurance for older workers has led to an extension in unemployment duration and it has not helped to subsidize better job matches in the form of better paying jobs.
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lalive, Rafael, 2008.
"How do extended benefits affect unemployment duration A regression discontinuity approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 785-806, February.
- Rafael LALIVE, 2006. "How do Extended Benefits affect Unemployment Duration? A Regression Discontinuity Approach," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 06.06, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Rafael Lalive, 2006. "How do Extended Benefits affect Unemployment Duration? A Regression Discontinuity Approach," IEW - Working Papers 294, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Lalive, Rafael, 2006. "How Do Extended Benefits Affect Unemployment Duration? A Regression Discontinuity Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 2200, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lalive, Rafael, 2006. "How do extended benefits affect unemployment duration? A regression discontinuity approach," Working Paper Series 2006:8, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Rafael Lalive, 2006. "How do Extended Benefits Affect Unemployment Duration? A Regression Discontinuity Approach," CESifo Working Paper Series 1765, CESifo Group Munich.