Factors Influencing Governors' Salaries, 1961-2001
This paper examines the determinants of governors' salaries for the forty-eight contiguous states. State budgetary variables, personal income, population, unemployment rate and state government employment are the primary determinants of governors' compensation. There appears to be a large amount of convergence among salaries over the forty year sample period; the states with lower pay in 1961 experienced faster growth in their governor's compensation. Thus, findings support the view that a governor's pay is based primarily on the responsibility measured by the economic size of the state and the size of a state's government.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/bejeap|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Di Tella, Rafael & Fisman, Raymond, 2004.
"Are Politicians Really Paid Like Bureaucrats?,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 477-513, October.
- Rafael Di Tella & Raymond Fisman, 2002. "Are Politicians Really Paid Like Bureaucrats?," NBER Working Papers 9165, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. Crain & Robert Tollison, 1976. "State budget sizes and the marginal productivity of governors," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 91-96, September.
- R. Hafer, 1977. "State budget sizes and the marginal productivity of governors: An extension," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 143-149, December.
- Sen, Pradyot K, 1991. "Evidence of Work Related and Incentive Payments in Gubernatorial Pay," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 71(1-2), pages 89-100, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:bejeap:v:10:y:2010:i:1:n:34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.