How has the risk to inflation from inflation expectations evolved?
During 2011, the Monetary Policy Committee expressed concern that persistently above-target outturns of CPI inflation might lead to inflation expectations becoming less well anchored by monetary policy. And in turn, that could make inflation itself more persistent via changes in price-setting or wage-setting behaviour. But inflation is now more than 2 percentage points lower than in September 2011. In light of that, this article discusses recent movements in inflation expectations and looks at a range of indicators to assess how the risk to inflation from expectations has evolved. While the upside risk has receded a little relative to the 2010–11 H1 period, so long as inflation is above target, some risk remains.
Volume (Year): 52 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Publications Group Bank of England Threadneedle Street London EC2R 8AH|
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bunn, Philip & Ellis, Colin, 2010.
"How do individual UK producer prices behave?,"
Bank of England working papers
394, Bank of England.
- Gürkaynak, Refet S. & Levin, Andrew & Swanson, Eric T, 2006.
"Does Inflation Targeting Anchor Long-Run Inflation Expectations? Evidence from Long-Term Bond Yields in the US, UK and Sweden,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5808, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Refet S. Gürkaynak & Andrew T. Levin & Eric T. Swanson, 2006. "Does inflation targeting anchor long-run inflation expectations? evidence from long-term bond yields in the U.S., U.K., and Sweden," Working Paper Series 2006-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Barnett, Alina & Groen, Jan J J & Mumtaz, Haroon, 2010. "Time-varying inflation expectations and economic fluctuations in the United Kingdom: a structural VAR analysis," Bank of England working papers 392, Bank of England.
- Macallan, Clare & Taylor, Tim & O'Grady, Tom, 2011. "Assessing the risk to inflation from inflation expectations," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 51(2), pages 100-110.
- Felix Ritchie, 2008. "Secure access to confidential microdata: four years of the Virtual Microdata Laboratory," Economic and Labour Market Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 2(5), pages 29-34, May.
- Michael F. Bryan & Brent Meyer, 2010. "Are some prices in the CPI more forward looking than others? We think so," Economic Commentary, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue May.
- Hughes, Abigail & Saleheen, Jumana, 2012. "UK labour productivity since the onset of the crisis — an international and historical perspective," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 52(2), pages 138-146.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:qbullt:0074. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Group)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.