Identifying the Effect of the Bank of Japan's Liquidity Facilities: The Case of Commercial Paper Operations During the Financial Turmoil
How do we evaluate the effects of unconventional monetary policy measures? To answer this question, we propose a simple structural model that enables us to identify the effects of liquidity facilities during financial turmoil. Specifically, we develop a model that examines the effects of the Bank of Japan's (BoJ's) commercial paper (CP) operations on the CP primary market. On the basis of the structural model, we measure the effects of CP operations as differences between the actual rates in the primary market and the counterfactual rates without the operations, and decompose the effects into three factors. We apply our model to identifying the effects of CP operations from October 2008 to May 2009, including the period after the BoJ introduced the outright purchase of CP and its special funds-supplying operation accepting CPs as collateral in addition to the CP repo operation. Our results suggest that the CP repo operation and the outright purchase of CP had marked effects initially; however, these effects were subdued subsequently. Moreover, the effects of the special funds‐supplying operation were substantial and persistent from January to April 2009.
Volume (Year): 13 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (Winter)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1367-0271|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1367-0271|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eisenschmidt, Jens & Hirsch, Astrid & Linzert, Tobias, 2009. "Bidding behaviour in the ECB’s main refinancing operations during the financial crisis," Working Paper Series 1052, European Central Bank.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Jose A. Lopez & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2014.
"Do Central Bank Liquidity Facilities Affect Interbank Lending Rates?,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 136-151, January.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Jose A. Lopez & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2009. "Do central bank liquidity facilities affect interbank lending rates?," Working Paper Series 2009-13, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- McAndrews, James J. & Sarkar, Asani & Wang, Zhenyu, 2008. "The effect of the Term Auction Facility on the London inter-bank offered rate," Staff Reports 335, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, revised 01 Sep 2015.
- Carpenter, Seth & Demiralp, Selva, 2006.
"The Liquidity Effect in the Federal Funds Market: Evidence from Daily Open Market Operations,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(4), pages 901-920, June.
- Seth B. Carpenter & Selva Demiralp, 2004. "The liquidity effect in the federal funds market: evidence from daily open market operations," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-61, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hirose, Yasuo & Ohyama, Shinsuke & Taniguchi, Ken, 2012. "The effects of Bank of Japan’s liquidity provision on the year-end premium," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 179-185.
- Hamilton, James D, 1997.
"Measuring the Liquidity Effect,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 80-97, March.
- Hayashi, Fumio, 2001. "Identifying a Liquidity Effect in the Japanese Interbank Market," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(2), pages 287-315, May.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Klee, Elizabeth, 2010. "Whither the liquidity effect: The impact of Federal Reserve open market operations in recent years," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 713-731, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:intfin:v:13:y:2010:i:3:p:461-483. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.