Gatt, Dispute Settlement And Cooperation
This paper analyzes GATT and its dispute settlement procedure (DSP) in the context of a supergame model of international trade featuring both explicit and implicit agreements. An explicit agreement, such as GATT, may be violated at some positive cost in addition to retaliatory actions that might be induced by the violation. We interpret this cost as arising from "international obligation", a phenomenon frequently mentioned in the legal literature on GATT. We focus on how international obligation affects two aspects of GATT-DSP: unilateral retaliation and the effect of inordinate delays in the operation of DSP. Copyright 1992 Blackwell Publishers Ltd..
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 4 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (07)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0954-1985|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0954-1985|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:106:y:1991:i:4:p:1287-307 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 1989.
"A Theory of Managed Trade,"
801, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Riezman, Raymond, 1991.
"Dynamic tariffs with asymmetric information,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3-4), pages 267-283, May.
- Chan, Kenneth S., 1988. "Trade negotiations in a Nash bargaining model," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 353-363, November.
- Edward J Green & Robert H Porter, 1997.
"Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1147, David K. Levine.
- Green, Edward J & Porter, Robert H, 1984. "Noncooperative Collusion under Imperfect Price Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Green, Edward J. & Porter, Robert H., 1982. "Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information," Working Papers 367, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Ludema, R.D., 1990.
"Optimal International Trade Agreements And Dispute Settlement Procedures,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9101, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Ludema, Rodney D., 2001. "Optimal international trade agreements and dispute settlement procedures," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 355-376, June.
- Brown, Fred & Whalley, John, 1980. "General Equilibrium Evaluations of Tariff-Cutting Proposals in the Tokyo Round and Comparisons with More Extensive Liberalisation of World Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(363), pages 838-66, December.
- Segerstrom, Paul S., 1988. "Demons and repentance," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 32-52, June.
- Dilip Abreu & Paul Milgrom & David Pearce, 1997.
"Information and timing in repeated partnerships,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
636, David K. Levine.
- Baldwin, Robert E. & Clarke, Richard N., 1987. "Game-modeling multilateral trade negotiations," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 257-284.
- Crawford, Vincent P, 1982. "A Theory of Disagreement in Bargaining," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 607-37, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Tracy R. Lewis, 1987.
"Negotiated Trade Restrictions with Private Political Pressure,"
NBER Working Papers
2374, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mayer, Wolfgang, 1981. "Theoretical Considerations on Negotiated Tariff Adjustments," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(1), pages 135-53, March.
- Hungerford, T.L., 1990. "Gatt: A Cooperative Equilibrium In A Noncooperative Trading Regime?," Working Papers 262, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:ecopol:v:4:y:1992:i:2:p:151-170. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.