Foreign Debt Management and the Development of Nigeria Economy
This study reviews the effect of foreign debt management on sustainable economic development with specific emphasis on Nigeria over the period of 1979?2009. Data analysis shows that access to external finances strongly influence the economic development process of Nigeria and other nations. The ordinary least square multiple regression analytical method is use to examine the relationship between external debt management and economic development, while error correction model (ECM) is use to determine the long-run and short run dynamics among the relevant variables. The empirical result shows that there is a significant relationship between external debt and economic development in Nigeria, external debt stock contributes significantly to Nigeria GDP while debt servicing had a negative but insignificant impact on Nigeria GDP. The results also reveal that external debt stock and debt servicing had a mix delay effect on the Nigerian economy. Debt can only be productive if well managed in an environment with sound macroeconomic policies which is an important prerequisite for the development of an economy.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 17 Alton Towers Circle, Unit 101 Toronto, ON, M1V3L8, Canada|
Web page: http://www.bapress.ca
|Order Information:|| Postal: 17 Alton Towers Circle, Unit 101 Toronto, ON, M1V3L8, Canada|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Cohen, Daniel, 1995. "Large external debt and (slow) domestic growth a theoretical analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(5-7), pages 1141-1163.
- Schclarek, Alfredo, 2004. "Debt and Economic Growth in Developing and Industrial Countries," Working Papers 2005:34, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- S. M. Ali Abbas & Jakob Christensen, 2007.
"The Role of Domestic Debt Markets in Economic Growth; An Empirical Investigation for Low-Income Countries and Emerging Markets,"
IMF Working Papers
07/127, International Monetary Fund.
- S M Ali Abbas & Jakob E Christensen, 2010. "The Role of Domestic Debt Markets in Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation for Low-Income Countries and Emerging Markets," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 57(1), pages 209-255, April.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Hector Butts, 2009. "Short Term External Debt and Economic Growth—Granger Causality: Evidence from Latin America and the Caribbean," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer;National Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 93-111, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bap:journl:130110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.