Econometric Evidence on the Determinants of the Mark Up of Industrial Brazilian Firms in the 1990s
Our aim in this paper is to investigate in econometric terms the determinants of mark up in the Brazilian industrial firms in the 1990s. Several regressions using panel data were tested to describe the behavior of the mark up of industrial firms. All models considered microeconomic and macroeconomic variables. A negative relation was found between demand variation and mark up variation, suggesting that it evolved in an anticyclic way. This behavior is explained based on the increase degree of uncertainty that surrounded changes in the macroeconomic scenario in the 1990s..
Volume (Year): 14 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1a ()
Pages: . 91_119
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.anpec.org.br/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Tiradentes, 17 - Ingá Niterói, RJ 24210-510 Brazil|
Web: http://www.anpec.org.br/revista/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greenslade, Jennifer & Parker, Miles, 2010. "New insights into price-setting behaviour in the United Kingdom," Bank of England working papers 395, Bank of England.
- Eichner, Alfred S, 1973. "A Theory of the Determination of the Mark-up Under Oligopoly," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 83(332), pages 1184-1200, December.
- Ferreira, Pedro Cavalcanti & Guillén, Osmani Teixeira de Carvalho, 2004. "Estrutura Competitiva, Produtividade Industrial e Liberalização Comercial no Brasil," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 58(4), December.
- Carlos Eduardo Schönerward da Silva & Matías Vernengo, 2008.
"The Decline of the Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Brazil: Explaining the ‘Fear of Floating’,"
Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, University of Utah
2008_11, University of Utah, Department of Economics.
- Carlos Eduardo Schönerwald da Silva & Matías Vernengo, 2008. "The Decline of the Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Brazil: Explaining the "Fear of Floating"," International Journal of Political Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 37(4), pages 64-79, December.
- Harcourt, G C & Kenyon, Peter, 1976. "Pricing and the Investment Decision," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(3), pages 449-77.
- Nina Shapiro & Malcolm Sawyer, 2003. "Post Keynesian price theory," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 25(3), pages 355-365, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anp:econom:v:14:y:2013:i:1a:91_119. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hugo E. A. da Gama Cerqueira)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.