Business services in Germany: bridges for innovation
AbstractDuring the last 20 years, R&D and innovation activities in the service sector have clearly increased. Especially business services are believed to be one of the main drivers of technical changes and economic progress. Looking at the labour indices calculated over the period from 1982 to 1996 one notices a remarkable increase of over 70 percent for the business services. About 8 percent of total employment in West Germany is in business services. In particular, by taking advantage of information and communication technologies, knowledge-intensive business service firms increasingly play the role of "converters" of technological information within the economy. They are providers, purchasers or partners in the context of innovation. A sound innovation capacity, especially knowledge, creativity, market and management skills let them become bridges for innovation. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 00-52.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Business Services; R&D; Innovation; Technical Change; ICT; Knowledge Flows;
Other versions of this item:
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Alfred Spielkamp, 2003. "Business services in Germany: bridges for innovation," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 1-30, March.
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Licht, Georg & Harhoff, Dietmar, 1993. "Das Mannheimer Innovationspanel," ZEW Discussion Papers 93-21, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kevin J. Stiroh & Dale W. Jorgenson, 1999. "Information Technology and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 109-115, May.
- Bozeman, Barry, 2000. "Technology transfer and public policy: a review of research and theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 627-655, April.
- Ian Miles & Johan Hauknes, . "Services in European Innovation Systems - A review of issues," STEP Report series 199606, The STEP Group, Studies in technology, innovation and economic policy.
- Bessant, John & Rush, Howard, 1995. "Building bridges for innovation: the role of consultants in technology transfer," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 97-114, January.
- Paul Schreyer, 2000. "The Contribution of Information and Communication Technology to Output Growth: A Study of the G7 Countries," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2000/2, OECD Publishing.
- Licht, Georg & Schnell, Wolfgang & Stahl, Harald, 1996. "Ergebnisse der Innovationserhebung 1995," ZEW Dokumentationen 96-05, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Nicoletta Corrocher & Lucia Cusmano & Andrea Morrison, 2009. "Modes of innovation in knowledge-intensive business services evidence from Lombardy," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 173-196, April.
- Michael Wyrwich, 2011. "Knowledge intensive Entrepreneurship across regions: Makes being a new industry a difference?," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1711, European Regional Science Association.
- Alfred Spielkamp & Christian Rammer, 2006. "R&D - Strategic elements for innovation and market success," Management & Marketing, Economic Publishing House, vol. 1(4), Winter.
- Probert, Jocelyn & Connell, David & Mina, Andrea, 2013. "R&D service firms: The hidden engine of the high-tech economy?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 1274-1285.
- Muller, Emmanuel & Zenker, Andrea, 2001. "Business services as actors of knowledge transformation and diffusion: some empirical findings on the role of KIBS in regional and national innovation systems," Working Papers "Firms and Region" R2/2001, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Daria Ciriaci & Daniela Palma, 2012.
"To what extent are knowledge-intensive business services contributing to manufacturing? A subsystem analysis,"
JRC-IPTS Working Papers
JRC71097, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre, revised Aug 2012.
- Daria Ciriaci & Daniela Palma, 2012. "To what extent are knowledge-intensive business services contributing to manufacturing? A subsystem analysis," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2012-02, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Knut Koschatzky & Thomas Stahlecker, 2004. "On the significance of geographical proximity for the structure and development of newly founded knowledge-intensive business service firms," ERSA conference papers ersa04p295, European Regional Science Association.
- Desmarchelier, Benoît & Djellal, Faridah & Gallouj, Faïz, 2013.
"Knowledge intensive business services and long term growth,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 188-205.
- Benoit Desmarchelier & Faridah Djellal & Faïz Gallouj, 2012. "Knowledge intensive business services and long term growth," Post-Print halshs-00748661, HAL.
- Brigitte Preissl, 2003. "E-Business in Service Industries: Usage Patterns and Service Gaps," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 373, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- José García-Quevedo & Francisco Mas-Verdú, 2008. "Does only size matter in the use of knowledge intensive services?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 137-146, August.
- Martin Andersson & Florian Noseleit, 2008.
"Start-Ups and Employment Growth - Evidence from Sweden,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2008-091, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Andersson, Martin & Noseleit, Florian, 2008. "Start-Ups and Employment Growth - Evidence from Sweden," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 155, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Yam, Richard C.M. & Lo, William & Tang, Esther P.Y. & Lau, Antonio K.W., 2011. "Analysis of sources of innovation, technological innovation capabilities, and performance: An empirical study of Hong Kong manufacturing industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 391-402, April.
- Thorsten Bohn, 2003. "Knowledge Intensive Business Services in Regional Systems of Innovation - Initial Results from the Case of Southeast-Finland," ERSA conference papers ersa03p161, European Regional Science Association.
- Fernandes, Cristina & Ferreira, João, 2011. "Knowledge Spillovers and Knowledge Intensive Business Services: An Empirical Study," MPRA Paper 34751, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stahlecker, Thomas & Koch, Andreas, 2004. "On the significance of economic structure and regional innovation systems for the foundation of knowledge-intensive business services," Working Papers "Firms and Region" R1/2004, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Muller, Emmanuel & Zenker, Andrea, 2001. "Business services as actors of knowledge transformation: the role of KIBS in regional and national innovation systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1501-1516, December.
- Kluck, Christian, 2012. "Zur Beschäftigungsdynamik in der Wissensökonomie: Die Entwicklung von wissensintensiven-unternehmensorientierten Dienstleistungen in Deutschland," BeitrÃ¤ge zur Wirtschaftsgeographie und Regionalentwicklung 2-2012, Universität Bremen, Institut für Geographie.
- Martin Andersson & Florian Noseleit, 2011. "Start-ups and employment dynamics within and across sectors," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 461-483, May.
- Howells, Jeremy, 2006. "Intermediation and the role of intermediaries in innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 715-728, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.