Evolutionary Micro-dynamics and Changes in the Economic Structure
AbstractThe paper develops a growth model with evolutionary micro–founded structural change. The model endogenises both technical change and changes in final and intermediate demand as affecting macro-economic growth, through the structural change of the economy. The aim is to formally account for the empirical stylised fact of the changes in the sectoral structure of the economy which have led to the growth of ser-vices in most advanced countries over the last decades. At the meso-macro level of analysis, we investigate whether the structural changes leading to the growth of services are mainly demand-led, both in terms of final consumption and intermediate demand. At the micro-level of analysis, we explore whether demand constraints affect the degree of exploitation of technological opportunities. The simulated results are based on the use of the actual Input–Output coefficients in the case of Germany. Four scenarios have been identified, which account for the effects of a set of key parameters on the changes in the structure of the economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy in its series LEM Papers Series with number 2006/28.
Date of creation: 03 Nov 2006
Date of revision:
Economic Growth; Structural change; Growth of Services; Evolutionary Micro–foundation; Input–Output;
Other versions of this item:
- André Lorentz & Maria Savona, 2008. "Evolutionary micro-dynamics and changes in the economic structure," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 389-412, August.
- AndrÃ© Lorentz & Maria Savona, 2007. "Evolutionary Micro-dynamics and Changes in the Economic Structure," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2007-17, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- E11 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Marxian; Sraffian; Institutional; Evolutionary
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-18 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Verspagen, B., 2002.
"Structural Change and Technology. A Long View,"
Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series
02.13, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Kox, Henk L.M. & Rubalcaba, Luis, 2007.
"Analysing the contribution of business services to European economic growth,"
2003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Henk Kox & Luis Rubalcaba, 2007. "Analysing the Contribution of Business Services to European Economic Growth," Bruges European Economic Research Papers 9, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Giovanni Dosi & Christopher Freeman & Richard Nelson & Gerarld Silverberg & Luc Soete (ed.), 1988. "Technical Change and Economic Theory," LEM Book Series, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy, number dosietal-1988, June.
- Parrinello, Sergio, 2004. "The service economy revisited," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 381-400, December.
- Michael Peneder & Serguei Kaniovski & Bernhard Dachs, .
"What Follows Tertiarisation? Structural Change and the Role of Knowledge-based Services,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Michael Peneder & Serguei Kaniovski & Bernhard Dachs, 2003. "What follows tertiarisation? structural change and the role of knowledge-based services," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 47-66, March.
- Maria Savona & André Lorentz, 2005.
"Demand and Technology Determinants of Structural Change and Tertiarisation: An Input-Output Structural Decomposition Analysis for four OECD Countries,"
LEM Papers Series
2005/25, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Maria Savona & André Lorentz, 2006. "Demand and Technology Determinants of Structural Change and Tertiarisation: An Input-Output Structural Decomposition Analysis for four OECD Countries," Working Papers of BETA 2006-01, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Verspagen,Bart, 2000.
"Growth and Structural Change: Trends, Patterns and Policy Options,"
015, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Verspagen, B., 2000. "Growth and structural change: trends, patterns and policy options," Working Papers 00.08, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Verspagen, B., 2000. "Growth and structural change: trends, patterns and policy options," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 00.08, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Giulio Cainelli & Rinaldo Evangelista & Maria Savona, 2006. "Innovation and economic performance in services: a firm-level analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(3), pages 435-458, May.
- Schettkat, Ronald & Yocarini, Lara, 2006. "The shift to services employment: A review of the literature," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 127-147, June.
- G. Silverberg & B. Verspagen, 1995. "Evolutionary Theorizing on Economic Growth," Working Papers wp95078, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Tommaso Ciarli & AndrÃ© Lorentz & Maria Savona & Marco Valente, 2008.
"The Effect of Consumption and Production Structure on Growth and Distribution. A Micro to Macro Model,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2008-13, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Tommaso Ciarli & André Lorentz & Maria Savona & Marco Valente, 2010. "The Effect Of Consumption And Production Structure On Growth And Distribution. A Micro To Macro Model," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 180-218, 02.
- Benoît Desmarchelier & Faïz Gallouj, 2013. "Endogenous growth and environmental policy: are the processes of growth and tertiarization in developed economies reversible?," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 831-860, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.