Evolutionary micro-dynamics and changes in the economic structure
AbstractThe paper aims to account for the empirical stylised facts related to changes in sectoral structures that have led to the growth of services in most advanced countries over recent decades. A growth model with evolutionary micro-founded structural change is developed, which formalises the role of technical change and changes in intermediate demand as they affect the evolution of the sectoral composition of the economy and macro-economic growth. Firstly, we provide a micro-foundation for the Kaldorian Cumulative Causation mechanism. Secondly, we account for (demand-related) macro-constraints affecting the micro-behaviour of firms in the decision to adopt technology. We also formalise the mechanisms transmitting the effects of micro-behaviour on aggregate growth, via changes in the intermediate linkages and sectoral composition of the economy. The simulated results are based on the use of the actual data, including Input-Output (I-O) coefficients in the case of Germany. Three scenarios are identified, which account for the effects of a set of key parameters on changes in the structure of the economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Evolutionary Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00191/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- AndrÃ© Lorentz & Maria Savona, 2007. "Evolutionary Micro-dynamics and Changes in the Economic Structure," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2007-17, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- André Lorentz & Maria Savona, 2006. "Evolutionary Micro-dynamics and Changes in the Economic Structure," LEM Papers Series 2006/28, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- E11 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Marxian; Sraffian; Institutional; Evolutionary
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giovanni Dosi & Christopher Freeman & Richard Nelson & Gerarld Silverberg & Luc Soete (ed.), 1988. "Technical Change and Economic Theory," LEM Book Series, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy, number dosietal-1988, June.
- Kox, Henk L.M. & Rubalcaba, Luis, 2007.
"Analysing the contribution of business services to European economic growth,"
2003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Henk Kox & Luis Rubalcaba, 2007. "Analysing the Contribution of Business Services to European Economic Growth," Bruges European Economic Research Papers 9, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Verspagen,Bart, 2000.
"Growth and Structural Change: Trends, Patterns and Policy Options,"
015, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Verspagen, B., 2000. "Growth and structural change: trends, patterns and policy options," Working Papers 00.08, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Verspagen, B., 2000. "Growth and structural change: trends, patterns and policy options," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 00.08, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Verspagen, B., 2002.
"Structural Change and Technology. A Long View,"
Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series
02.13, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Parrinello, Sergio, 2004. "The service economy revisited," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 381-400, December.
- Michael Peneder & Serguei Kaniovski & Bernhard Dachs, .
"What Follows Tertiarisation? Structural Change and the Role of Knowledge-based Services,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Michael Peneder & Serguei Kaniovski & Bernhard Dachs, 2003. "What follows tertiarisation? structural change and the role of knowledge-based services," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 47-66, March.
- G. Silverberg & B. Verspagen, 1995. "Evolutionary Theorizing on Economic Growth," Working Papers wp95078, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Maria Savona & André Lorentz, 2006.
"Demand and Technology Determinants of Structural Change and Tertiarisation: An Input-Output Structural Decomposition Analysis for four OECD Countries,"
Working Papers of BETA
2006-01, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Maria Savona & André Lorentz, 2005. "Demand and Technology Determinants of Structural Change and Tertiarisation: An Input-Output Structural Decomposition Analysis for four OECD Countries," LEM Papers Series 2005/25, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Giulio Cainelli & Rinaldo Evangelista & Maria Savona, 2006. "Innovation and economic performance in services: a firm-level analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(3), pages 435-458, May.
- Schettkat, Ronald & Yocarini, Lara, 2006. "The shift to services employment: A review of the literature," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 127-147, June.
- Tommaso Ciarli & AndrÃ© Lorentz & Maria Savona & Marco Valente, 2008.
"The Effect of Consumption and Production Structure on Growth and Distribution. A Micro to Macro Model,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2008-13, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Tommaso Ciarli & André Lorentz & Maria Savona & Marco Valente, 2010. "The Effect Of Consumption And Production Structure On Growth And Distribution. A Micro To Macro Model," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 180-218, 02.
- Benoît Desmarchelier & Faïz Gallouj, 2013. "Endogenous growth and environmental policy: are the processes of growth and tertiarization in developed economies reversible?," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 831-860, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.