Demand and Technology Determinants of Structural Change and Tertiarisation: An Input-Output Structural Decomposition Analysis for four OECD Countries
AbstractThe paper provides fresh empirical evidence on the relative role of changes in final and intermediate demand as affecting the changes in the sectoral structure of advanced economies. These latter have led, over the last three decades, to the massive growth of service sectors. The paper draws upon the recently released OECD Input- Output (I-O) tables. The empirical analysis is based on an I-O Structural Decomposition Analysis carried out on 13 manufacturing and service sectors, from the end of 1960s to the end of 1990s. Although heterogeneous sectoral patterns emerge, we find that the structural changes leading to the growth of services, particularly KIBS (Knowledge Intensive Business Services), are mainly (domestic) demand-led, whereas the role of foreign trade remains marginal even in the last decade. We infer that, even in the case of the most technologically advanced service sectors, (domestic) demand constraints affect the degree of exploitation of technological opportunities and the patterns of growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg in its series Working Papers of BETA with number 2006-01.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PEGE. 61, Aven. de la Forêt-Noire 67000 Strasbourg
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Structural change; Growth of Services; Input–Output.;
Other versions of this item:
- Maria Savona & André Lorentz, 2005. "Demand and Technology Determinants of Structural Change and Tertiarisation: An Input-Output Structural Decomposition Analysis for four OECD Countries," LEM Papers Series 2005/25, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- NEP-ALL-2006-12-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2006-12-16 (European Economics)
- NEP-INO-2006-12-16 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2006-12-16 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giulio Cainelli & Rinaldo Evangelista & Maria Savona, 2006. "Innovation and economic performance in services: a firm-level analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(3), pages 435-458, May.
- Schettkat, Ronald & Yocarini, Lara, 2003. "The Shift to Services: A Review of the Literature," IZA Discussion Papers 964, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barro, R.J., 1989.
"Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Baumol, William J & Blackman, Sue Anne Batey & Wolff, Edward N, 1985.
"Unbalanced Growth Revisited: Asymptotic Stagnancy and New Evidence,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 806-17, September.
- Baumol, William J. & Batey Blackman, Sue Anne & Wolff, Edward N., 1984. "Unbalanced Growth Revisited: Asymptotic Stagnancy and New Evidence," Working Papers 84-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- George Korres, 1996. "Sources of structural change: an input-output decomposition analysis for Greece," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(11), pages 707-710.
- Jan Fagerberg, 2000.
"Technological Progress, Structural Change and Productivity Growth: A Comparative Study,"
5, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 2000. "Technological progress, structural change and productivity growth: a comparative study," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 393-411, December.
- Montobbio, Fabio, 2002.
"An evolutionary model of industrial growth and structural change,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 387-414, December.
- Fabio Montobbio, 2000. "An Evolutionary Model of Industrial Growth and Structural Change," KITeS Working Papers 121, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Nov 2000.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1994. "Technology and International Differences in Growth Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1147-75, September.
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "Macroeconomics of Unbalanced Growth: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 150, March.
- Bart Verspagen, 2004.
"Structural Change and Technology. A Long View,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 55(6), pages 1099-1125.
- Verspagen, Bart, 2004. "Structural change and technology: a long view," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-18187, Maastricht University.
- Verspagen, B., 2002. "Structural Change and Technology. A Long View," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 02.13, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Verspagen, B., 2000.
"Growth and structural change: trends, patterns and policy options,"
Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series
00.08, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Verspagen,Bart, 2000. "Growth and Structural Change: Trends, Patterns and Policy Options," Research Memoranda 015, Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology.
- Bart Verspagen, .
"Evolutionary macroeconomics: A synthesis between neo-Schumpeterian and post-Keynesian lines of thought,"
The Electronic Journal of Evolutionary Modeling and Economic Dynamics,
IFReDE - Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Verspagen, Bart, 2002. "Evolutionary Macroeconomics: A synthesis between neo- Schumpeterian and post-Keynesian lines of thought," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-18034, Maastricht University.
- Patrick Llerena & André Lorentz, 2004. "Cumulative Causation and Evolutionary Micro-Founded Technical Change. On the Determinants of Growth rate Differences," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 55(6), pages 1191-1214.
- Michael Peneder & Serguei Kaniovski & Bernhard Dachs, 2003.
"What follows tertiarisation? structural change and the role of knowledge-based services,"
The Service Industries Journal,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 47-66, March.
- Michael Peneder & Serguei Kaniovski & Bernhard Dachs, . "What Follows Tertiarisation? Structural Change and the Role of Knowledge-based Services," WIFO Working Papers 146, WIFO.
- André Lorentz & Patrick Llerena, 2004. "Co-Evolution of Macro-Dynamics and Technological Change : an Alternative View on Growth," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 105(1), pages 47-70.
- Valentina Meliciani & Maria Savona, 2011. "The Determinants of Regional Specialisation in Business Services: Agglomeration Economies, Vertical Linkages and Innovation," SPRU Working Paper Series 193, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Francesco Bogliacino & Matteo Lucchese & Mario Pianta, 2011.
"Job creation in business services:Innovation, Demand, Polarisation,"
1107, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2011.
- Francesco Bogliacino & Matteo Lucchese & Mario Pianta, 2011. "Job creation in business services: innovation, demand, polarisation," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2011-04, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Faïz Gallouj & Maria Savona, 2009. "Innovation in services: a review of the debate and a research agenda," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 149-172, April.
- Camacho-Ballesta, José Antonio & Melikhova, Yulia, 2012. "Terciarización del sistema productivo ibérico: rasgos diferenciales/Tertiarisation of the Iberian Productive System: Differential Features," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 761 (32 pag, Agosto.
- André Lorentz & Maria Savona, 2008.
"Evolutionary micro-dynamics and changes in the economic structure,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 389-412, August.
- AndrÃ© Lorentz & Maria Savona, 2007. "Evolutionary Micro-dynamics and Changes in the Economic Structure," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2007-17, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- André Lorentz & Maria Savona, 2006. "Evolutionary Micro-dynamics and Changes in the Economic Structure," LEM Papers Series 2006/28, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Rafael Fernández & Enrique Palazuelos, 2009. "Labor productivity: a comparative analysis of the European Union and United States, for the period 1994-2007," Working Papers wp208, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Davide CASTELLANI & Valentina MELICIANI & Loredana Mirra, 2012. "The determinants of inward foreign direct investment in business services across european regions," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 104/2012, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Tommaso Ciarli & Valentina Meliciani & Maria Savona, 2012. "Knowledge Dynamics, Structural Change And The Geography Of Business Services," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(3), pages 445-467, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.