Sturm und Drang in money market funds: When money market funds cease to be narrow
AbstractThis paper investigates the returns and flows of German money market funds before and during the liquidity crisis of 2007/2008. The main findings of this paper are: in liquid times, money market funds enhanced their returns by investing in less liquid papers. By doing so they outperformed other funds as long as liquidity in the market was high. Investing in less liquid assets, however, widens the narrow structure of money market funds and makes them vulnerable to runs. During the shortening of liquidity caused by the subprime crisis, illiquid funds experienced runs, while more liquid funds functioned as a safe haven. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR) in its series CFR Working Papers with number 10-16.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Albertus Magnus Platz, 50923 Köln
Phone: 0221 / 470 5607
Fax: 0221 / 470 5179
Web page: http://cfr-cologne.de/english/version06/html/home.php
More information through EDIRC
Money Market Funds; Liquidity Crisis; Strategic Complementarities; Runs; Narrow Banking;
Other versions of this item:
- Jank, Stephan & Wedow, Michael, 2008. "Sturm und Drang in money market funds: when money market funds cease to be narrow," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2008,20, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-11-06 (Banking)
- NEP-MON-2010-11-06 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-MST-2010-11-06 (Market Microstructure)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pennacchi, George, 2006. "Deposit insurance, bank regulation, and financial system risks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Geoffrey P. Miller, 1998. "On the Obsolescence of Commercial Banking," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 154(1), pages 61-, March.
- Jank, Stephan, 2012.
"Mutual fund flows, expected returns, and the real economy,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 3060-3070.
- Jank, Stephan, 2011. "Mutual fund flows, expected returns, and the real economy," CFR Working Papers 11-04, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Patrick E. McCabe, 2010. "The cross section of money market fund risks and financial crises," Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 2010-51, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fecht, Falko & Wedow, Michael, 2014.
"The dark and the bright side of liquidity risks: Evidence from open-end real estate funds in Germany,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 376-399.
- Fecht, Falko & Wedow, Michael, 2009. "The dark and the bright side of liquidity risks: evidence from open-end real estate funds in Germany," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2009,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Jonathan Witmer, 2012. "Does the Buck Stop Here? A Comparison of Withdrawals from Money Market Mutual Funds with Floating and Constant Share Prices," Working Papers, Bank of Canada 12-25, Bank of Canada.
- Wermers, Russ, 2012. "Runs on money market mutual funds," CFR Working Papers 12-05, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.