Performance and Characteristics of Swedish Mutual Funds
AbstractThis paper studies the relation between fund performance and fund attributes in the Swedish market. Performance is measured as the alpha in a linear regression of fund returns on several benchmark assets, allowing for time-varying betas. The estimated performance is then used in a cross-sectional analysis of the relation between performance and fund attributes such as past performance, flows, size, turnover, and proxies for expenses and trading activity. The results show, among other things, that good performance is to be found among small equity funds, low-fee funds, funds whose trading activity is high, and in some cases, funds with good past performance.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 312.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 28 Feb 1999
Date of revision: 25 Nov 1999
Publication status: Published in Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 2000, pages 15.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Flows; persistence; portfolio evaluation; survivorship bias; style analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Dahlquist, Magnus & Engström, Stefan & Söderlind, Paul, 2000. "Performance and Characteristics of Swedish Mutual Funds," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(03), pages 409-423, September.
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Engström, Stefan, 2004. "Does Active Portfolio Management Create Value? An Evaluation of Fund Managers' Decisions," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 553, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Engström, Stefan, 2004. "Investment Strategies, Fund Performance and Portfolio Characteristics," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 554, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Raza, Syed Ali & Raza, Syed Aoun & Zia, Abassi, 2011. "Equity mutual funds performance in Pakistan: risk & return analysis," MPRA Paper 36804, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Soo-Wah Low, 2012. "Market Timing And Selectivity Performance: A Cross-Sectional Analysis Of Malaysian Unit Trust Funds," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(2), pages 205-219.
- Khorana, Ajay & Servaes, Henri & Tufano, Peter, 2005. "Explaining the size of the mutual fund industry around the world," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 145-185, October.
- Bechmann, Ken L. & Rangvid, Jesper, 2007. "Rating mutual funds: Construction and information content of an investor-cost based rating of Danish mutual funds," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 662-693, December.
- Otten, Rogér & Bams, Dennis, 2002.
"European mutual fund performance,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-20512, Maastricht University.
- Christensen, Michael, 2005. "Danish Mutual Fund Performance - Selectivity, Market Timing and Persistence," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2005-01, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Hoechle, Daniel & Schmid, Markus & Zimmermann, Heinz, 2012. "Measuring Long-term Performance: a Regression Based Generalization of the Calendar Time Portfolio Approach," Working Papers on Finance 1216, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Babalos, Vassilios & Kostakis, Alexandros & Philippas, Nikolaos, 2009. "Managing mutual funds or managing expense ratios? Evidence from the Greek fund industry," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 256-272, October.
- Engström, Stefan & Westerberg, Anna, 2004. "Information Costs and Mutual Fund Flows," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 555, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Dariusz Filip, 2011. "Performance Persistence of Equity Funds in Hungary," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 5(1), March.
- Samira Ben Belgacem & Slaheddine Hellara, 2011. "Predicting Tunisian mutual fund performance using dynamic panel data model," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 208-225, May.
- Christensen, Michael, 2003. "Evaluating Danish Mutual Fund Performance," Finance Working Papers 03-4, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Engström, Stefan, 2000.
"Costly Information, Diversification, and International Mutual Fund Performance,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
385, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 10 Nov 2001.
- Engstrom, Stefan, 2003. "Costly information, diversification and international mutual fund performance," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 463-482, September.
- Bialkowski, Jedrzej & Otten, Roger, 2011. "Emerging market mutual fund performance: Evidence for Poland," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 118-130, August.
- Ayadi, Mohamed A. & Kryzanowski, Lawrence, 2011. "Fixed-income fund performance: Role of luck and ability in tail membership," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 379-392, June.
- Ferreira, Miguel A. & Keswani, Aneel & Miguel, Antonio F. & Ramos, Sofia B., 2012. "The flow-performance relationship around the world," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1759-1780.
- Amporn SOONGSWANG & Yosawee SANOHDONTREE, 2011. "Equity Mutual Fund: Performances, Persistence and Fund Rankings," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 1(6), pages 27, October.
- Jondeau, E. & Rockinger, M., 2004. "The Bank Bias: Segmentation of French Fund Families," Working papers 107, Banque de France.
- Daniel Hoechle & Heinz Zimmermann, 2007. "A Generalization of the Calendar Time Portfolio Approach and the Performance of Private Investors," Working papers 2007/14, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- Bessler, Wolfgang & Blake, David & Lückoff, Peter & Tonks, Ian, 2010. "Why does mutual fund performance not persist? The impact and interaction of fund flows and manager changes," MPRA Paper 34185, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Deaves, Richard, 2004. "Data-conditioning biases, performance, persistence and flows: The case of Canadian equity funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 673-694, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.