What drives portfolio investments of German banks in emerging capital markets?
AbstractAfter decades of steady liberalisation and financial market development, emerging capital markets experienced unparalleled capital inflows in the aftermath of the emerging markets crisis in the 1990s. This paper studies portfolio investment decisions of German banks in 30 emerging capital markets using monthly data from 2002 to 2007. The use of a dynamic Time-Series Cross-Section framework and the micro database External Position Report provided by Deutsche Bundesbank, which covers German banks assets and liability positions vis-à-vis foreign countries, allows insights into the various determinants: indicators of financial market development, the portfolio-calculus of investors, investor-specific characteristics, as well as the macroeconomic environment. There is evidence for German banks taking into account the various dimensions of financial market development in their portfolio investment decisions and anticipating the special risks inherent in emerging markets. The implication for policymakers would be to foster financial market development in order to attract and sustain international portfolio investors. However, there is additional evidence for the investor's domestic market environment and global risk aversion exerting a significant influence in times of financial turmoil. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre in its series Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies with number 2010,04.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Emerging capital markets; financial market development; portfolio investment; international capital flows;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lyons, Richard & Schmukler, Sergio, 2001. "Mutual fund investment in emerging markets - an overview," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2529, The World Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Dooley, Michael P & Warner, Andrew, 1995.
"Portfolio Capital Flows: Hot or Cold?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 153-74, January.
- Kim, Woochan & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2002.
"Foreign portfolio investors before and during a crisis,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 77-96, January.
- Woochan Kim & Shang-Jin Wei, 1999. "Foreign Portfolio Investors Before and during a Crisis," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 210, OECD Publishing.
- Woochan Kim & Shang-Jin Wei, 1999. "Foreign Portfolio Investors Before and During a Crisis," NBER Working Papers 6968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Woochan Kim & Shang-Jin Wei, 1999. "Foreign Portfolio Investors before and during a Crisis," CID Working Papers 6, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Wei, S.J. & Kim, W., 1999. "Foreign Portfolio Investors Before and During a Crisis," Papers 6, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Liebig, Thilo & Porath, Daniel & Weder, Beatrice & Wedow, Michael, 2007. "Basel II and bank lending to emerging markets: Evidence from the German banking sector," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 401-418, February.
- Hali J. Edison & Francis E. Warnock, 2006.
"Cross-border Listings, Capital Controls, and Equity Flows To Emerging Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
12589, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edison, Hali J. & Warnock, Francis E., 2008. "Cross-border listings, capital controls, and equity flows to emerging markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1013-1027, October.
- Sabine Herrmann & Adalbert Winkler, 2009.
"Financial markets and the current account: emerging Europe versus emerging Asia,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 531-550, October.
- Herrmann, Sabine & Winkler, Adalbert, 2008. "Financial markets and the current account: emerging Europe versus emerging Asia," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2008,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Singh, Ajit & Weisse, Bruce A., 1998.
"Emerging stock markets, portfolio capital flows and long-term economie growth: Micro and macroeconomic perspectives,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 607-622, April.
- Singh, A. & Weisse, B. A., 1998. "Emerging Stock Markets, Portfolio Capital Flows and Long-term Economic Growth: Micro and Macroeconomic Perspectives," Accounting and Finance Discussion Papers 98-af40, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- T. Todd Smith & Garry J. Schinasi, 1999.
"Portfolio Diversification, Leverage, and Financial Contagion,"
IMF Working Papers
99/136, International Monetary Fund.
- Garry J. Schinasi & R. Todd Smith, 2000. "Portfolio Diversification, Leverage, and Financial Contagion," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(2), pages 1.
- Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo & Hausmann, Ricardo, 2001. "Is foreign direct investment a safer form of financing?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 34-49, March.
- Montiel, Peter & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1999. "Do capital controls and macroeconomic policies influence the volume and composition of capital flows? Evidence from the 1990s," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 619-635, August.
- Heid, Frank & Nestmann, Thorsten & di Mauro, Beatrice Weder & von Westernhagen, Natalja, 2004. "German bank lending during emerging market crises: A bank level analysis," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2004,04, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Campbell R. Harvey, 1994. "Conditional Asset Allocation in Emerging Markets," NBER Working Papers 4623, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicole B. Simpson & Marc Tomljanovich & George S. Georgiev, 2005. "Macroeconomic Fundamentals and Net Portfolio Investment Between Developed Regions," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 303-327, 08.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1992.
"Barriers to portfolio investments in emerging stock markets,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
984, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Huizinga, Harry, 1995. "Barriers to portfolio investments in emerging stock markets," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 355-374, August.
- Huizinga, H.P. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A., 1995. "Barriers to portfolio investment in emerging stock markets," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-155151, Tilburg University.
- Demirguc-Kunt, A. & Huizinga, H., 1993. "Barriers to Portfolio Investments in Emerging Stock Markets," Papers 9341, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Lusinyan, Lusine & Buch, Claudia M., 2002. "Short-Term Capital, Economic Transformation, and EU Accession," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,02, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2003. "Diversification, original sin, and international bond portfolios," International Finance Discussion Papers 755, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reena Aggarwal & Leora Klapper & Peter D. Wysocki, 2003.
"Portfolio preferences of foreign institutional investors,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3101, The World Bank.
- Aggarwal, Reena & Klapper, Leora & Wysocki, Peter D., 2005. "Portfolio preferences of foreign institutional investors," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(12), pages 2919-2946, December.
- Borensztein, Eduardo R. & Gelos, R. Gaston, 2003. "Leaders and followers: emerging market fund behavior during tranquil and turbulent times," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 25-38, March.
- Lusine LUSINYAN, 2002. "International Capital Flows, Economic Growth and Financial Market Efficiency," Economics Working Papers ECO2002/20, European University Institute.
- Fiess, Norbert, 2003. "Capital flows, country risk, and contagion," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2943, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.