Determinants of Comparative Advantage in Services
AbstractThis paper analyzes whether and to what extent determinants of comparative advantage have explanatory power for conventional services trade. It assesses the geographical, Heckscher-Ohlin and institutional determinants of services trade based on the literature for goods trade. Moreover, this paper investigates the importance of a country’s governance of regulation as a source of comparative advantage in services markets. Determinants for services trade differ from goods. Services trade is more sensitive to a country’s stock of high-skilled and mid-skilled labour, more receptive to the level of trust enjoyed by any importers, and more dependant on the quality of regulatory governance practiced when liberalizing services sectors. The counterfactual analyses presented in this paper show furthermore that these factors when affected by policy can bring substantial gains to countries. Specifically, countries with already good regulatory governance structures would enjoy relatively higher growth share in services trade by capitalizing on their highskilled stock. Other countries, however, would instead to better by improving their condition of regulatory governance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FIW in its series FIW Working Paper series with number 087.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: FIW Project Office Austrian Institute of Economic Research Arsenal Objekt 20 A-1030 Vienna
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davin Chor, 2008.
"Unpacking Sources of Comparative Advantage: A Quantitative Approach,"
13-2008, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Chor, Davin, 2010. "Unpacking sources of comparative advantage: A quantitative approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 152-167, November.
- Davin Chor, 2008. "Unpacking Sources of Comparative Advantage : A Quantitative Approach," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22071, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kolstad, Ivar & Villanger, Espen, 2008.
"Determinants of foreign direct investment in services,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 518-533, June.
- Ivar Kolstad & Espen Villanger, 2004. "Determinants of foreign direct investment in services," CMI Working Papers WP 2004: 2, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Nathan Nunn, 2005.
"Relationship Specificity, Incomplete Contracts and the Pattern of Trade,"
- Nathan Nunn, 2007. "Relationship-Specificity, Incomplete Contracts, and the Pattern of Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 122(2), pages 569-600, 05.
- Nunn, Nathan, 2007. "Relationship-Specificity, Incomplete Contracts, and the Pattern of Trade," Scholarly Articles 4686801, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Henk Kox & Hildegunn Kyvik Nordås, 2007.
"Services Trade and Domestic Regulation,"
OECD Trade Policy Papers
49, OECD Publishing.
- Amin, Mohammad & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2008. "Human capital and the changing structure of the Indian economy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4576, The World Bank.
- repec:ner:toulou:http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr/3227/ is not listed on IDEAS
- Keith Walsh, 2006. "Trade in Services: Does Gravity Hold? A Gravity Model Approach to Estimating Barriers to Services Trade," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp183, IIIS.
- Fukunari Kimura & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 2006. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade in Services," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(1), pages 92-121, April.
- Thomas Chaney, 2008. "Distorted Gravity: The Intensive and Extensive Margins of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1707-21, September.
- Ghani, Ejaz & Kharas, Homi, 2010.
"The Service Revolution,"
World Bank - Economic Premise,
The World Bank, issue 14, pages 1-5, May.
- Carmen Fillat Castejón & Joseph F. Francois & Julia Woerz, 2008.
"Trade through FDI: investing in services,"
Documentos de Trabajo
dt2008-06, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
- Andrei A. Levchenko, 2007.
"Institutional Quality and International Trade,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(3), pages 791-819.
- Shingal, ANIRUDH, 2009. "How much do agreements matter for services trade?," MPRA Paper 32815, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 May 2010.
- Jagdish Bhagwati & Alan S. Blinder, 2009. "Offshoring of American Jobs: What Response from U.S. Economic Policy?," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262013320 edited by Benjamin M. Friedman.
- Rubinstein, Yona & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2008.
"Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes,"
3228230, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2008. "Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(2), pages 441-487, 05.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2007. "Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," NBER Working Papers 12927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miroudot, Sébastien & Sauvage, Jehan & Shepherd, Ben, 2010. "Measuring the Cost of International Trade in Services," MPRA Paper 27655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Romalis, 2004. "Factor Proportions and the Structure of Commodity Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 67-97, March.
- Arjan Lejour & J.W. de Paiva Verheijden, 2004. "Services trade within Canada and the European Union; what do they have in common?," CPB Discussion Paper 42, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Diaz-Lanchas, Jorge & Llano, Carlos & Zofío, José Luis, 2013. "Trade margins, transport cost thresholds and market areas: Municipal freight flows and urban hierarchy," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2013/10, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.