Trade in services and trade in goods: differences and complementarities
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is double. First, we empirically explore to what extent the determinants of trade in services differs from those of trade in goods and, second, by the use of instrumental variables, we explore for potential complementarities between bilateral trade in goods and bilateral trade in services. By the use of gravity equations, the main results show that "bilateral trust and contract enforcement environment", "networks", "labor markets" and "technology and technology of communication" have higher impact on service trade than on trade in goods; finally, after instrumenting for endogeneity, we found that bilateral trade in goods explains bilateral trade in services: the resulting estimated elasticity is close to 1. Reciprocally, though to a lesser extent, bilateral trade in services affects positively bilateral trade in goods: a 10% increase in trade in services raises traded goods by 4.6%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series PSE Working Papers with number halshs-00586223.
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00586223
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
international trade in services ; trade in goods ; gravity equations;
Other versions of this item:
- Carolina Lennon, 2009. "Trade in Services and Trade in Goods: Differences and Complementarities," wiiw Working Papers 53, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Marrewijk, Charles & Stibora, Joachim & de Vaal, Aldert, 1996. "Services Tradability, Trade Liberalization and Foreign Direct Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(252), pages 611-31, November.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2005.
"Fear of service outsourcing: is it justified?,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 20(42), pages 308-347, 04.
- Carolina LENNON & Daniel MIRZA & Giuseppe NICOLETTI, 2009. "Complementarity of Inputs across Countries in Services Trade," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 93-94, pages 183-205.
- Carolina Lennon, 2008.
"Trade in services: Cross-border trade vs commercial presence. Evidence of complementarity,"
PSE Working Papers
- Carolina Lennon, 2009. "Trade in Services: Cross-Border Trade vs. Commercial Presence. Evidence of Complementarity," wiiw Working Papers 59, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Cipollina, Maria & Salvatici, Luca, 2007.
"Reciprocal trade agreements in gravity models: a meta-analysis,"
Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers
esdp07035, University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS.
- Maria Cipollina & Luca Salvatici, 2010. "Reciprocal Trade Agreements in Gravity Models: A Meta-Analysis," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 63-80, 02.
- Cipollina, Maria & Salvatici, Luca, 2006. "Reciprocal Trade Agreements in Gravity Models: A Meta-analysis," Working Papers 18877, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gupta, Poonam, 2012.
"Exports of Services: Indian Experience in Perspective,"
37409, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta, 2013. "Exports of services: Indian experience in perspective," Indian Growth and Development Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(1), pages 35-60, March.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gupta, Poonam, 2012. "Exports of Services: Indian Experience in Perspective," Working Papers 12/102, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Markus Kelle, 2012. "Crossing Industrial Borders: German Manufacturers as Services Exporters," Development Working Papers 329, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 27 Mar 2012.
- Carolina Lennon, 2008. "Trade in services: Cross-border trade vs commercial presence. Evidence of complementarity," Working Papers halshs-00586217, HAL.
- Massimo Riccaboni & Alessandro Rossi & Stefano Schiavo, 2013.
"Global networks of trade and bits,"
Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination,
Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 33-56, April.
- Keith Walsh, 2006. "Trade in Services: Does Gravity Hold? A Gravity Model Approach to Estimating Barriers to Services Trade," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp183, IIIS.
- Matthew T. Cole & Am¨¦lie Guillin, 2013. "The Determinants of Trade Agreements in Services vs. Goods," Working Papers 1307, Florida International University, Department of Economics.
- Van Der Marel, Erik & Shepherd, Ben, 2011.
"Services trade, regulation, and regional integration: Evidence from sectoral data,"
34343, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erik Marel & Ben Shepherd, 2013. "Services Trade, Regulation and Regional Integration: Evidence from Sectoral Data," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(11), pages 1393-1405, November.
- Marine George, 2013. "Does cross-border regulation really influence cross-border trade? Evidence from the Services Trade Restrictions Index," Post-Print dumas-00909960, HAL.
- Cardamone, Paola, 2007.
"A survey of the assessments of the effectiveness of Preferential Trade Agreements using gravity models,"
7282, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Cardamone, Paola, 2007. "A Survey of the Assessments of the Effectiveness of Preferential Trade Agreements using Gravity Models," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 60(4), pages 421-473.
- Shingal, ANIRUDH, 2009. "How much do agreements matter for services trade?," MPRA Paper 32815, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 May 2010.
- Damien Broussolle, 2013. "Les exportations de marchandises favorisent-elles celles de services ? Une étude à partir du modèle de gravité," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2013-12, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France).
- Shingal, Anirudh, 2013. "Revisiting the trade effects of services agreements," MPRA Paper 51243, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Damien Broussolle, 2012.
"A note on the links between manufacturing, goods and services exports,"
Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center
2012-09, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France).
- Broussolle Damien, 2012. "A Note on the Links Between Manufacturing, Goods and Services Exports," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 14(Special N), pages 600-620, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.