The Impact of an Old Fleet on the Demand for Air Transportation: The Case of VASP Brazilian Airlines
AbstractIn 05/25/1982, the VASP aircraft broke in two after a hard landing killing 2 people. The pilot's misuse of rain repellant, caused an optical illusion leading to the hard landing. Since that day, VASP started to have constant problems. A brief history about VASP is discussed. After so many problems, VASP lost its market share and became the 4th airline of Brazil, VASP used to be second place. With financial problems, VASP could not buy new airplanes and its fleet was from the 70-80s. This paper aims to study if an old fleet could affect the demand for air transportation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0506005.
Length: 6 pages
Date of creation: 09 Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 6
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Air Transportation; Airline; Demand; VASP; GOL; Brazil;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-06-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, James E & Kraus, Marvin, 1981. "Quality of Service and the Demand for Air Travel," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 533-40, November.
- Reuben Gronau, 1970. "The Value of Time in Passenger Transportation: The Demand for Air Travel," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gron70-1.
- Douglas, George W & Miller, James C, III, 1974. "Quality Competition, Industry Equilibrium, and Efficiency in the Price-Constrained Airline Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(4), pages 657-69, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.