DYPES: Vertical differentiation, schedule delay and entry deterrence: Low cost vs. full service airlines
AbstractWe consider a market with a full-service (FS) carrier (the incumbent) and a low-cost (LC) carrier (the potential entrant). If the LC carrier enters the market, airlines compete in ticket prices and frequency with vertically differentiated products. The higher the frequency, the lower passenger’s generalized price. Thus, more frequency allows airlines to increase ticket prices without losing demand. In this context, we show that the incumbent may increase the frequency offered in order to deter the LC carrier entry. We show that if the airport capacity is low enough the LC carrier entry can be easily blocked or deterred. However, if the airport capacity is sufficiently high, the LC carrier entry must be accommodated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2013-05.
Date of creation: Jul 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-09-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2013-09-24 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-TRE-2013-09-24 (Transport Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2013-09-24 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lijesen, Mark G., 2006. "A mixed logit based valuation of frequency in civil aviation from SP-data," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 82-94, March.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2000. "Airport and Airline Competition for Passengers Departing from a Large Metropolitan Area," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 29-45, July.
- Koster, Paul & Kroes, Eric & Verhoef, Erik, 2011.
"Travel time variability and airport accessibility,"
Transportation Research Part B: Methodological,
Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1545-1559.
- Pels, Eric, 2008. "Airline network competition: Full-service airlines, low-cost airlines and long-haul markets," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 68-74.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 1995. "Airline Network Rivalry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 836-57, November.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2005:i:4:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2002.
"Network Structure and Airline Scheduling,"
02-0112, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Morrison, William G., 2004. "Dimensions of predatory pricing in air travel markets," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 87-95.
- Ming Hsin Lin, 2005. "Alliances and entry in a simple airline network," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(4), pages 1-11.
- Oâ€™Connell, John F. & Williams, George, 2005. "Passengersâ€™ perceptions of low cost airlines and full service carriers: A case study involving Ryanair, Aer Lingus, Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 259-272.
- Cristian Huse & Alessandro V. M. Oliveira, 2012. "Does Product Differentiation Soften Price Reactions to Entry? Evidence from the Airline Industry," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 46(2), pages 189-204, May.
- Barbot, Cristina, 2006. "Low-cost airlines, secondary airports, and state aid: An economic assessment of the Ryanairâ€“Charleroi Airport agreement," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 197-203.
- Frédéric Dobruszkes, 2006. "An analysis of European low-cost airlines and their networks," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/95835, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Douglas, George W & Miller, James C, III, 1974. "Quality Competition, Industry Equilibrium, and Efficiency in the Price-Constrained Airline Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(4), pages 657-69, September.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1979.
"The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
140, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Pels, Eric & Njegovan, Nenad & Behrens, Christiaan, 2009. "Low-cost airlines and airport competition," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 335-344, March.
- Franke, Markus, 2004. "Competition between network carriers and low-cost carriersâ€”retreat battle or breakthrough to a new level of efficiency?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 15-21.
- Gillen, David & Morrison, William, 2003. "Bundling, integration and the delivered price of air travel: are low cost carriers full service competitors?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 15-23.
- Austan Goolsbee & Chad Syverson, 2005.
"How do Incumbents Respond to the Threat of Entry? Evidence from the Major Airlines,"
NBER Working Papers
11072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Austan Goolsbee & Chad Syverson, 2008. "How do Incumbents Respond to the Threat of Entry? Evidence from the Major Airlines," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1611-1633, November.
- Austan Goolsbee & Chad Syverson, 2004. "How Do Incumbents Respond to the Threat of Entry? Evidence from the Major Airlines," Working Papers 04-04, NET Institute, revised Dec 2004.
- Panzar, John C, 1979. "Equilibrium and Welfare in Unregulated Airline Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 92-95, May.
- Aydemir, Resul, 2012. "Threat of market entry and low cost carrier competition," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 59-62.
- Jan Brueckner & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2007. "Airline Schedule Competition," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 161-177, May.
- Yetiskul, Emine & Matsushima, Kakuya & Kobayashi, Kiyoshi, 2005. "Airline Network Structure with Thick Market Externality," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 143-163, January.
- Anderson, James E & Kraus, Marvin, 1981. "Quality of Service and the Demand for Air Travel," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 533-40, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.