The impact of pecuniary costs on commuting flows
AbstractIn many cases fjords cause disconnections in the road network, calling for the service of ferries. The construction of bridges or subsea tunnels may, however, substitute the ferries, often financed by toll charges. In this paper we use data on commuting flows from a Norwegian region with a high number of ferry connections and/or tunnels and bridges. Based on a doubly-constrained gravity-based model specification we focus on how commuting flows respond to varying toll charges and ferry prices. Estimation results are used to predict how the generation and distribution of commuting flows is affected when ferry connections are substituted by bridges and tunnels. We also estimate the willingness to pay for a new road connection, and predict how commuting flows respond to alternative pricing policies for the new road link.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa10p874.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parry, Ian & Bento, Antonio, 1999.
"Revenue Recycling and the Welfare Effects of Road Pricing,"
Discussion Papers, Resources For the Future
dp-99-45, Resources For the Future.
- Parry, Ian W H & Bento, Antonio, 2001. " Revenue Recycling and the Welfare Effects of Road Pricing," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(4), pages 645-71, December.
- Parry, Ian W.H. & Bento, Antonio Miguel R., 1999. "Revenue recycling and the welfare effects of road pricing," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 2253, The World Bank.
- Small, Kenneth A. & Kazimi, Camilla, 1995.
"On the Costs of Air Pollution from Motor Vehicles,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt0sx81025, University of California Transportation Center.
- Small, K.A. & Kazimi, C., 1994. "On the Costs of Air Pollution from Motor Vehicules," Papers, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences 94-95-3, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- A S Fotheringham, 1983. "A new set of spatial-interaction models: the theory of competing destinations," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 15(1), pages 15-36, January.
- Verhoef, Erik & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 1996. "Second-Best Congestion Pricing: The Case of an Untolled Alternative," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 279-302, November.
- Glaister, Stephen & Lewis, Davis, 1978. "An integrated fares policy for transport in London," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 341-355, June.
- A S Fotheringham, 1983. "Some theoretical aspects of destination choice and their relevance to production-constrained gravity models," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 15(8), pages 1121-1132, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.