Productivity effects of land rental markets in Ethiopia : Evidence from a matched tenant-landlord sample
AbstractAs countries increasingly strive to transform their economies from agriculture-based into a diversified one, land rental will become of greater importance. It will thus be critical to complement research on the efficiency of specific land rental arrangements -- such as sharecropping -- with an inquiry into the broader productivity impacts of the land rental market. Plot-level data for a matched landlord-tenant sample in an environment where sharecropping dominates allows this paper to explore both issues. The authors find that pure output sharing leads to significantly lower levels of efficiency that can be attenuated by monitoring while the inefficiency disappears if inputs are shared as well. Rentals transfer land to more productive producers but realization of this productivity advantage is prevented by the inefficiency of contractual arrangements, suggesting changes that would prompt adoption of different contractual arrangements could have significant benefits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5727.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Labor Policies; Municipal Housing and Land; Economic Theory&Research; Land and Real Estate Development; Real Estate Development;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2011-07-27 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2011-07-27 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2011-07-27 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-URE-2011-07-27 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fuller, Wayne A, 1977. "Some Properties of a Modification of the Limited Information Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(4), pages 939-53, May.
- François Bourguignon & Martin Fournier & Marc Gurgand, 2007.
"Selection Bias Corrections Based On The Multinomial Logit Model: Monte Carlo Comparisons,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 174-205, 02.
- François Bourguignon & Martin Fournier & Marc Gurgand, 2004. "Selection Bias Corrections Based on the Multinomial Logit Model: Monte-Carlo Comparisons," DELTA Working Papers 2004-20, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing, 2005. "The potential of land rental markets in the process of economic development: Evidence from China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 241-270, October.
- Al, C. & Arcand, J.L. & Ethier, F., 1996.
"Moral Hazard and Marshallian Inefficiency: Evidence from Tunisia,"
Cahiers de recherche
9605, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Arcand, Jean-Louis & Ai, Chunrong & Ethier, Francois, 2007. "Moral hazard and Marshallian inefficiency: Evidence from Tunisia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 411-445, July.
- Jean-Louis ARCAND & AI & ETHIER, 2005. "Moral Hazard and Marshallian Inefficiency:Evidence from Tunisia," Working Papers 200534, CERDI.
- Al, C. & Arcand, J.L. & Ethier, F., 1996. "Moral Hazard and Marshallian Inefficiency: Evidence from Tunisia," Cahiers de recherche 9605, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Cheung, Steven N S, 1969. "Transaction Costs, Risk Aversion, and the Choice of Contractual Arrangements," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(1), pages 23-42, April.
- Jin, Songqing & Deininger, Klaus, 2009.
"Land rental markets in the process of rural structural transformation: Productivity and equity impacts from China,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 629-646, December.
- Jin, Songqing & Deininger, Klaus W., 2007. "Land Rental Markets in the Process of Rural Structural Transformation: Productivity and Equity Impacts from China," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9932, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Verbeek, M. & Nijman, T., 1990.
"Testing For Selectivity Bias In Panel Data Models,"
9018, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Dubin, Jeffrey A & McFadden, Daniel L, 1984. "An Econometric Analysis of Residential Electric Appliance Holdings and Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 345-62, March.
- Seiichi Fukui, 1997. "The Meaning of Kinship in Sharecropping Contracts," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 394-406.
- Jacoby, Hanan G. & Mansuri, Ghazala, 2007.
"Incentives, supervision, and sharecropper productivity,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4125, The World Bank.
- Jacoby, Hanan G. & Mansuri, Ghazala, 2009. "Incentives, supervision, and sharecropper productivity," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 232-241, March.
- DeSilva, S., 2000. "Skills, Partnerships and Tenancy in Sri Lankan Rice Farms," Papers 819, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Feder, Gershon, 1985. "The relation between farm size and farm productivity : The role of family labor, supervision and credit constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 297-313, August.
- Shaban, Radwan Ali, 1987. "Testing between Competing Models of Sharecropping," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(5), pages 893-920, October.
- Tridip Ray, 2005. "Sharecropping, Land Exploitation And Land-Improving Investments," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 56(2), pages 127-143.
- Menale Kassie & Stein Holden, 2007. "Sharecropping efficiency in Ethiopia: threats of eviction and kinship," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(2-3), pages 179-188, 09.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing, 2007. "Land rental markets in the process of rural structural transformation : productivity and equity impacts in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4454, The World Bank.
- Klaus Deininger & Daniel Ayalew Ali & Tekie Alemu, 2008.
"Assessing the Functioning of Land Rental Markets in Ethiopia,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 67-100, October.
- Deininger, Klaus & Ali, Daniel Ayalew & Alemu, Tekie, 2007. "Assessing the functioning of land rental markets in Ethiopia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4442, The World Bank.
- Holden, Stein T. & Ghebru, Hosaena, 2011. "Household Welfare Effects of Low-cost Land Certification in Ethiopia," CLTS Working Papers 3/11, Centre for Land Tenure Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
- George E. Battese, 1997. "A Note On The Estimation Of Cobb-Douglas Production Functions When Some Explanatory Variables Have Zero Values," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 250-252.
- Stein Holden & Klaus Deininger & Hosaena Ghebru, 2011. "Tenure Insecurity, Gender, Low-cost Land Certification and Land Rental Market Participation in Ethiopia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(1), pages 31-47.
- Hanan G. Jacoby & Ghazala Mansuri, 2008. "Land Tenancy and Non-Contractible Investment in Rural Pakistan," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 75(3), pages 763-788.
- John Pender & Marcel Fafchamps, 2006. "Land Lease Markets and Agricultural Efficiency in Ethiopia," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(2), pages 251-284, June.
- Marc F. Bellemare, 2009. "Sharecropping, Insecure Land Rights and Land Titling Policies: A Case Study of Lac Alaotra, Madagascar," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 27(1), pages 87-106, 01.
- Sanjaya DeSilva, 2000. "Skills, Partnerships and Tenancy in Sri Lankan Rice Farms," Working Papers 819, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Shetty, Sudhir, 1988. "Limited liability, wealth differences and tenancy contracts in agrarian economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-22, July.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-12, March.
- Lanjouw, Jean Olson, 1999. "Information and the operation of markets: tests based on a general equilibrium model of land leasing in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 497-527, December.
- Otsuka, Keijiro & Hayami, Yujiro, 1988. "Theories of Share Tenancy: A Critical Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(1), pages 31-68, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.