Reverse-share-tenancy and Marshallian Inefficiency: Landownersâ€™ bargaining power and sharecroppersâ€™ productivity
AbstractWhile there are ample empirical studies that claim the potential disincentive effects of sharecropping arrangements, the existing literature is shallow in explaining why share tenancy contracts are prevalent and diffusing in many developing countries. Using a unique tenant-landlord matched dataset from the Tigray region of Ethiopia, we are able to show how the tenantsâ€™ strategic response to the varying economic and tenure-security status of the landlords can explain sharecroppersâ€™ productivity differentials.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series IFPRI discussion papers with number 1270.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Marshallian inefficiency; kinship; Matching method; Tenure; tenant; Share cropping; Land tenure; Land ownership; Agricultural productivity; Smallholders;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-08-16 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-SPO-2013-08-16 (Sports & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stein T. Holden & Klaus Deininger & Hosaena Ghebru, 2007. "Impacts of Low-Cost Land Certification on Investment and Productivity," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(2), pages 359-373.
- Bezabih, Mintewab & Holden, Stein, 2010.
"The Role of Land Certification in Reducing Gender Gaps in Productivity in Rural Ethiopia,"
dp-10-23-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Bezabih, Mintewab & Holden, Stein & Mannberg, Andrea, 2012. "The Role of Land Certification in Reducing Gender Gaps in Productivity in Rural Ethiopia," CLTS Working Papers 1/12, Centre for Land Tenure Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1974.
"Incentives and Risk Sharing in Sharecropping,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 219-55, April.
- Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Market Institutions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Theory and Evidence," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262062364, January.
- Al, C. & Arcand, J.L. & Ethier, F., 1996.
"Moral Hazard and Marshallian Inefficiency: Evidence from Tunisia,"
Cahiers de recherche
9605, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Arcand, Jean-Louis & Ai, Chunrong & Ethier, Francois, 2007. "Moral hazard and Marshallian inefficiency: Evidence from Tunisia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 411-445, July.
- Jean-Louis ARCAND & AI & ETHIER, 2005. "Moral Hazard and Marshallian Inefficiency:Evidence from Tunisia," Working Papers 200534, CERDI.
- Al, C. & Arcand, J.L. & Ethier, F., 1996. "Moral Hazard and Marshallian Inefficiency: Evidence from Tunisia," Cahiers de recherche 9605, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gavian, Sarah & Ehui, Simeon, 1999. "Measuring the production efficiency of alternative land tenure contracts in a mixed crop-livestock system in Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 37-49, January.
- Stein Holden & Bekele Shiferaw & John Pender, 2001.
"Market Imperfections and Land Productivity in the Ethiopian Highlands,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 53-70.
- Holden, Stein & Shiferaw, Bekele & Pender, John L., 2001. "Market imperfections and land productivity in the Ethiopian Highlands:," EPTD discussion papers 76, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2007.
"Inverse probability weighted estimation for general missing data problems,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1281-1301, December.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2004. "Inverse probability weighted estimation for general missing data problems," CeMMAP working papers CWP05/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Deininger, Klaus & Ali, Daniel Ayalew & Holden, Stein & Zevenbergen, Jaap, 2008.
"Rural Land Certification in Ethiopia: Process, Initial Impact, and Implications for Other African Countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1786-1812, October.
- Deininger, Klaus & Ali, Daniel Ayalew & Holden, Stein & Zevenbergen, Jaap, 2007. "Rural land certification in Ethiopia : process, initial impact, and implications for other African countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4218, The World Bank.
- Naresh Sharma & Jean Dreze, 1996. "Sharecropping in a North Indian Village," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(1), pages 1-39.
- Menale Kassie & Stein Holden, 2007. "Sharecropping efficiency in Ethiopia: threats of eviction and kinship," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(2-3), pages 179-188, 09.
- Shaban, Radwan Ali, 1987. "Testing between Competing Models of Sharecropping," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(5), pages 893-920, October.
- Li, Guo & Rozelle, Scott & Brandt, Loren, 1998. "Tenure, land rights, and farmer investment incentives in China," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 63-71, September.
- Aryal, Jeetendra P. & Holden, Stein T., 2011.
"Livestock and Land Share Contracts in a Hindu Society,"
CLTS Working Papers
7/11, Centre for Land Tenure Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
- Jeetendra P. Aryal & Stein T. Holden, 2012. "Livestock and land share contracts in a Hindu society," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(5), pages 593-606, 09.
- Stein Holden & Klaus Deininger & Hosaena Ghebru, 2011. "Tenure Insecurity, Gender, Low-cost Land Certification and Land Rental Market Participation in Ethiopia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(1), pages 31-47.
- Bellemare, Marc F., 2010. "Insecure Land Rights and Share Tenancy in Madagascar," MPRA Paper 23640, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sadoulet, Elisabeth & Fukui, Seiichi & Janvry, Alan de, 1994. "Efficient share tenancy contracts under risk: The case of two rice-growing villages in Thailand," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 225-243, December.
- Holden, Stein T. & Ghebru, Hosaena, 2011. "Household Welfare Effects of Low-cost Land Certification in Ethiopia," CLTS Working Papers 3/11, Centre for Land Tenure Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
- John Pender & Marcel Fafchamps, 2006. "Land Lease Markets and Agricultural Efficiency in Ethiopia," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(2), pages 251-284, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.