Overlapping Generations Models of Graded Age-Group Societies: Economics Meets Ethnography
AbstractAcross much of the world tribal societies are organized into age groups. In these age-group societies, social and economic relations between individuals are regulated by well-established rules governing transitions through the lifecycle. In this paper we detail the relationship between the classic formulations in Stewart's (1977) "Fundamentals of Age-Group Systems" and the overlapping generations (OLG) model. We establish that OLG models can accurately represent a large subset of actual age-group societies called graded age-set societies. Thus, an OLG model bears a close resemblance to reality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Department Discussion Papers with number 0102.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 06 Jul 2001
Date of revision:
age sets; graded age-group systems; lifecycle; overlapping generations model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J10 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - General
- P00 - Economic Systems - - General - - - General
- Z10 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engineer, M. & Bernhardt, D., 1992. "Endogenous Transfer Institutions in Overlapping Generations," Working Papers, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance 1992-07, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Frank Hahn & Robert Solow, 1997. "A Critical Essay on Modern Macroeconomic Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026258154x, December.
- Engineer, M. & Bernhardt, D., 1992.
"Endogenous Transfer Institutions in Overlapping Generations,"
Working Papers, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance
1992-07, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Engineer, Merwan & Bernhardt, Dan, 1992. "Endogenous transfer institutions in overlapping generations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 445-474, June.
- James Bullard, 1992. "Samuelson's model of money with n-period lifetimes," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 67-82.
- Engineer, Merwan & Esteban, Joan & Sakovics, Jozsef, 1997.
"Costly transfer institutions and the core in an overlapping generations model,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 287-300, February.
- Esteban, J. & Engineer, M. & Sakovics, J., 1992. "Costly Transfer Institutions and the Core in an Overlapping Generations Models," UFAE and IAE Working Papers, Unitat de Fonaments de l'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (UAB) and Institut d'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (CSIC) 181.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984.
"Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons,"
NBER Working Papers
1389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985. "Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-47, April.
- Brock, W.A., 1990. "Overlapping generations models with money and transactions costs," Handbook of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 263-295 Elsevier.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Merwan H. Engineer & Ming Kang & Eric Roth & Linda Welling, 2006. "Overlapping Generations Models of an Age-Group Society: The Rendille of Northern Kenya," 2006 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics 248, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.