Intra-national Purchasing Power Parity and Balassa-Samuelson Effects in Italy
AbstractConsidering a sample of 71 Italian metropolitan areas, this paper goes beyond the assumption that there exists a unique core inflationary process in a macroeconomy. We show that local long-run inflation rates can display remarkable variability. On the one hand they are negatively correlated with productivity growth, on the other the less competitive is the local retail sector and the higher is long-run inflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Verona, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 12/2010.
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
purchasing power parity; long-run inflation; Balassa-Samuelson model; Kaldor-Verdoorn model.;
Other versions of this item:
- Andrea Vaona, 2011. "Intra-national Purchasing Power Parity and Balassa--Samuelson Effects in Italy," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 291-309, April.
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F49 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-08-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-08-06 (Central Banking)
- NEP-GEO-2010-08-06 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-OPM-2010-08-06 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Mora & Daniel Miles, 2002.
"On The Performance Of Nonparametric Specification Tests In Regression Models,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2002-13, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Miles, Daniel & Mora, Juan, 2003. "On the performance of nonparametric specification tests in regression models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 477-490, March.
- Takashi Senda & Julie K Smith, 2008. "Inflation History And The Sacrifice Ratio: Episode-Specific Evidence," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(3), pages 409-419, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Reiter).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.