Productivity Bias Hypothesis and The Purchasing Power Parity: a review article
AbstractProductivity differentials among countries are said to be one of the major sources that contribute to the deviation of the Purchasing Power Parity-based exchange rate from the equilibrium rate, hence the productivity bias hypothesis. Prior to last review article on the productivity bias hypothesis in 1976, almost all studies relied upon cross-sectional regression analysis. Since then, two groups of empirical studies have emerged. While one group has employed time-series data, the other one has used panel data. These two later groups have provided more support to the hypothesis than the earlier cross-sectional studies. This paper reviews and criticizes each group separately and provides tables that summarize main features of each study. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Economic Surveys.
Volume (Year): 19 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0950-0804
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00786095 is not listed on IDEAS
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Dramane Coulibaly, 2013.
"The Impact of Market Regulations on Intra-European Real Exchange Rates,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
13001, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Dramane Coulibaly, 2012. "The Impact of Market Regulations on Intra European Real Exchange Rates," Working Papers 2012-37, CEPII research center.
- Agnes Benassy-Quere & Dramane Coulibaly, 2013. "The Impact of Market Regulations on Intra-European Real Exchange Rates," CESifo Working Paper Series 4082, CESifo Group Munich.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Dramane Coulibaly, 2013. "The Impact of Market Regulations on Intra-European Real Exchange Rates," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00786095, HAL.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Dramane Coulibaly, 2013. "The Impact of Market Regulations on Intra-European Real Exchange Rates," EconomiX Working Papers 2013-3, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Clements, Kenneth & Lan, Yihui & Roberts, John, 2008.
"Exchange-rate economics for the resources sector,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 102-117, June.
- Brock, Philip L., 2011. "The Penn-Balassa-Samuelson effect through the lens of the dependent economy model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 1547-1556, September.
- Ikeno, Hidehiro, 2014. "Pairwise tests of convergence of Japanese local price levels," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 232-248.
- Su, Jen-Je & Cheung, Adrian (Wai-Kong) & Roca, Eduardo, 2014. "Does Purchasing Power Parity hold? New evidence from wild-bootstrapped nonlinear unit root tests in the presence of heteroskedasticity," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 161-171.
- Mahmood-ur- Rahman & Sujan Kumar Ghosh, 2013. "Productivity Bias Hypothesis: The Case of South Asia," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(3), pages 1771-1779.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Hegerty, Scott W. & Kutan, Ali M., 2009. "Is PPP sensitive to time-varying trade weights in constructing real effective exchange rates?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 1001-1008, August.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Dramane COULIBALY, 2014. "The Impact of Market Regulations on Intra-European Real Exchange Rates," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00961713, HAL.
- Peltonen, Tuomas A. & Sager, Michael, 2009. "Productivity shocks and real exchange rate: a reappraisal," Working Paper Series 1046, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.