Inflation History And The Sacrifice Ratio: Episode-Specific Evidence
Abstract"This article examines whether episode-specific analysis can show a negative relationship between inflation and the slope of the Phillips curve that has been found in cross-country analysis. While the relationship between inflation and the Phillips curve slope is widely accepted from cross-country analysis, it has remained unproven in previous episode-specific studies. By defining inflation history as a weighted average of past inflation, this study finds a negative effect of inflation history on the sacrifice ratio, which is what is expected from the cross-country analysis. The negative relationship does not disappear even after including other conventional determinants of the sacrifice ratio. "("JEL "E52, E31) Copyright (c) 2008 Western Economic Association International.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Contemporary Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 26 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 18830 Brookhurst Street, Suite 304, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 USA
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1074-3529
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Emmanuel De Veirman & Andrew Levin, 2011.
"Cyclical changes in firm volatility,"
Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series
DP2011/06, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Emmanuel De Veirman & Andrew T. Levin, 2011. "Cyclical Changes in Firm Volatility," CAMA Working Papers 2011-29, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Emmanuel De Veirman & Andrew Levin, 2014. "Cyclical changes in firm volatility," DNB Working Papers, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department 408, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Bowdler, Christopher & Nunziata, Luca, 2010. "Labor market structures and the sacrifice ratio," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 816-826, September.
- Nicolás De Roux & Marc Hofstetter, 2012. "Sacrifice Ratios and Inflation Targeting: The Role of Credibility," DOCUMENTOS CEDE, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE 009325, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Mazumder, Sandeep, 2014. "The sacrifice ratio and core inflation," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 400-421.
- Andrea Vaona, 2010.
"Intra-national Purchasing Power Parity and Balassa-Samuelson Effects in Italy,"
Working Papers, University of Verona, Department of Economics
12/2010, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Andrea Vaona, 2011. "Intra-national Purchasing Power Parity and Balassa--Samuelson Effects in Italy," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 291-309, April.
- Sek Siok Kun, 2012. "Evaluating the performance of inflation targeting regime in three Asian economies," International Econometric Review (IER), Econometric Research Association, Econometric Research Association, vol. 4(2), pages 82-98, September.
- Siok Kun Sek & Wai Mun Har, 2012. "Does Inflation Targeting Work in Emerging East-Asian Economies?," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(5), pages 599-608, December.
- Marc Hofstetter, 2008.
"Sticky Prices and Moderate Inflation,"
DOCUMENTOS CEDE, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE
005856, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Mazumder, Sandeep, 2012.
"Determinants of the Sacrifice Ratio: Evidence from OECD and non-OECD countries,"
Working Papers, Wake Forest University, Economics Department
106, Wake Forest University, Economics Department.
- Mazumder, Sandeep, 2014. "Determinants of the sacrifice ratio: Evidence from OECD and non-OECD countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 117-135.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.