Price Convergence under EMU? First Estimates
AbstractThis paper examines whether European monetary union has lowered the degree of price dispersion among member countries. The difference-in-differences methodology is applied to four independent data sets containing prices of identical goods. While the results reported in the paper vary somewhat across goods, they provide little overall support of the European Commission's claim that the single currency would significantly deepen market integration among the euro-zone countries. Even though this should be viewed as preliminary evidence, it does suggest that there are other, more important impediments to market integration in the EU.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen in its series University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2003 with number 2003-08.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2003
Date of revision:
EMU; price convergence; difference-in-differences;
Other versions of this item:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-05-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2003-05-08 (European Economics)
- NEP-IFN-2003-05-08 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995.
"How wide is the border?,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
498, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Engel, C. & Rogers, J.H., 1995. "How Wide is the Border?," Papers 4-95-16, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1994. "How Wide is the Border?," NBER Working Papers 4829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," Research Working Paper 95-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Slaughter, Matthew J., 2001. "Trade liberalization and per capita income convergence: a difference-in-differences analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 203-228, October.
- Michael R. Pakko & Patricia S. Pollard, 1996. "For here or to go? Purchasing power parity and the Big Mac," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 3-22.
- Alan M. Taylor, 2000.
"A Century of Purchasing-Power Parity,"
NBER Working Papers
8012, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
- Matthias Lutz, 2000. "EU Commission versus Volkswagen: New Evidence on Price Differentiation in the European Car Market," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 313-323, November.
- Torsten Persson, 2001. "Currency unions and trade: how large is the treatment effect?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 16(33), pages 433-462, October.
- Matthias Lutz, 2002. "Beyond Burgernomics and MacParity: Exchange Rate Forecasts Based on the Law of One Price," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 D4-1, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Matthias Lutz, 2004. "Pricing in Segmented Markets, Arbitrage Barriers, and the Law of One Price: Evidence from the European Car Market," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 456-475, 08.
- Méjean, Isabelle & Schwellnus, Cyrille, 2009.
"Price convergence in the European Union: Within firms or composition of firms?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 1-10, June.
- Isabelle Méjean & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2009. "Price Convergence in the European Union: Within Firms or Composition of Firms?," Working Papers hal-00354190, HAL.
- Isabelle Méjean & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2009. "Price Convergence in the European Union: Within Firms or Composition of Firms?," Working Papers 2009-03, CEPII research center.
- Allington, Nigel FB & Kattuman, Paul A & Waldmann, Florian A, 2005. "One Market, One Money, One Price?," MPRA Paper 835, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Salvador Gil-Pareja & Simon Sosvilla-Rivero, 2007.
"Price convergence in the European car market,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 241-250.
- Václav Žďárek, 2008. "Some thoughts on nominal convergence, its drivers and determinants for the new eu member states preparing the euro adoption," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2008(4), pages 291-318.
- Thomas Mathä, 2003.
"What to expect of the euro? Analysing price differences of individual products in Luxembourg and its surrounding regions,"
BCL working papers
8, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Thomas Mathä, 2003. "What to Expect of the Euro? Analysing Price Differences of Individual Products in Luxembourg and its Surrounding Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa03p70, European Regional Science Association.
- Sascha S. Becker & Dieter Nautz, 2010.
"Inflation, Price Dispersion and Market Integration through the Lens of a Monetary Search Model,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2010-058, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Becker, Sascha S. & Nautz, Dieter, 2012. "Inflation, price dispersion and market integration through the lens of a monetary search model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 624-634.
- Becker, Sascha & Nautz, Dieter, 2010. "Inflation, price dispersion and market integration through the lens of a monetary search model," Discussion Papers 2010/2, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Nigel F.B. Allington & Paul A. Kattuman & Florian A. Waldmann, 2005. "One Market, One Money, One Price?," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 1(3), December.
- Arturo Bris & Augusto Rupérez-Micola, 2008. "Separated by a common currency? Evidence from the Euro changeover," Economics Working Papers 1086, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Michaelis, Jochen & Minich, Heike, 2004. "Inflationsdifferenzen im Euroraum: Eine Bestandsaufnahme," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 35, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Sascha S. Becker, 2011. "What Drives the Relationship Between Inflation and Price Dispersion? Market Power vs. Price Rigidity," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-019, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Jirka Slacalek & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2007.
"Price convergence in the enlarged internal market,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
292, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Jiri Slacalek & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2007. "Price Convergence in the Enlarged Internal Market," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 730, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Jirka Slacalek & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2007. "Price Convergence in the Enlarged Internal Market," CASE Network Reports 0076, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Wimanda, Rizki E., 2009. "Price variability and price convergence: Evidence from Indonesia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 427-442, September.
- Thomas Mathä, 2005. "Der Euro und Weiterführende Regionale Preiskonvergenz? Resultate aus der 'Gro�-Region' um Luxemburg," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(1), pages 57-70, 02.
- Isabelle Méjean & Julien Martin, 2010. "Euro et dispersion des prix à l’exportation," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 435(1), pages 49-64.
- Emma SARNO & Alberto ZAZZARO, 2003. "Structural Convergence of Macroeconomic Time Series: Evidence for Inflation Rates in EU Countries," Working Papers 180, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joerg Baumberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.