Innovation strategy, firm survival and relocation: The case of Hong Kong-owned manufacturing in Guangdong province, China
AbstractBased on a survey adapted from the Fourth European Community Innovation Survey (CIS-4), this study finds that, in the changing manufacturing environment of Guangdong province in China, Hong Kong-owned businesses that generate a higher share in new product sales as a percentage of total sales or engage in R&D or collaborative innovation activities in China are more likely to survive and remain in Guangdong. The study fills a gap in the literature by investigating the effects of innovation on the survival and relocation of Hong Kong-owned manufacturing firms in Guangdong. The results support policy initiatives that strengthen collaborative ties among key innovation system actors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT) in its series MERIT Working Papers with number 052.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Innovation; Survival; Relocation; Community Innovation Survey; Asia; China;
Other versions of this item:
- Sharif, Naubahar & Huang, Can, 2012. "Innovation strategy, firm survival and relocation: The case of Hong Kong-owned manufacturing in Guangdong Province, China," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 69-78.
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L52 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Industrial Policy; Sectoral Planning Methods
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Audretsch, David B, 1991. "New-Firm Survival and the Technological Regime," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 441-50, August.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi & Xiao Yun, 2005.
"China's Innovation System Reform and Growing Industry and Science Linkages,"
Discussion papers, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI)
05011, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Motohashi, Kazuyuki & Yun, Xiao, 2007. "China's innovation system reform and growing industry and science linkages," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1251-1260, October.
- Samira Oukarfi & Maurice Baslé, 2009. "Public-sector financial incentives for business relocation and effectiveness measures based on company profile and geographic zone," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 509-526, June.
- Spielkamp, Alfred & Czarnitzki, Dirk & Rammer, Christian, 2008.
"Innovation Success of Non-R&D-Performers: Substituting Technology by Management in SMEs,"
ZEW Discussion Papers, ZEW - Zentrum fÃ¼r EuropÃ¤ische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research
08-092, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Christian Rammer & Dirk Czarnitzki & Alfred Spielkamp, 2009. "Innovation success of non-R&D-performers: substituting technology by management in SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 35-58, June.
- ,, 2007. "African Development Report 2007," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780199238866, October.
- Huang, Can & Sharif, Naubahar, 2009. "Manufacturing dynamics and spillovers: The case of Guangdong Province and Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan (HKMT)," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 813-828, June.
- Martin, Ron, 1999. "The New 'Geographical Turn' in Economics: Some Critical Reflections," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(1), pages 65-91, January.
- David B. Audretsch, 1995. "Innovation and Industry Evolution," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011468, December.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1987. "Efficient estimation of limited dependent variable models with endogenous explanatory variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 231-250, November.
- Elena Cefis & Orietta Marsili, 2005. "A matter of life and death: innovation and firm survival," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(6), pages 1167-1192, December.
- Steinfeld, Edward S., 2004. "China's Shallow Integration: Networked Production and the New Challenges for Late Industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1971-1987, November.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 2004.
"Intermediaries in Entrepot Trade: Hong Kong Re-Exports of Chinese Goods,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 3-35, 03.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Robert C. Feenstra, 2001. "Intermediaries in Entrepot Trade: Hong Kong Re-Exports of Chinese Goods," NBER Working Papers 8088, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gort, Michael & Klepper, Steven, 1982. "Time Paths in the Diffusion of Product Innovations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 630-53, September.
- Yu, Tony Fu-Lai, 1998. "Adaptive entrepreneurship and the economic development of Hong Kong," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 897-911, May.
- Eom, Boo-Young & Lee, Keun, 2010. "Determinants of industry-academy linkages and, their impact on firm performance: The case of Korea as a latecomer in knowledge industrialization," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 625-639, June.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2006," Annual Report, African Development Bank, African Development Bank, number 62 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou, 9.
- Eleonora Bartoloni & Maurizio Baussola, 2001. "The Determinants of Technology Adoption in Italian Manufacturing Industries," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 305-328, November.
- AfDB AfDB, . "African Development Report 2007," African Development Report, African Development Bank, African Development Bank, number 24 edited by Adeleke Oluwole Salami, 9.
- Honglin Zhang, Kevin, 2005. "Why does so much FDI from Hong Kong and Taiwan go to Mainland China?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 293-307.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Lewbel, Arthur & Ng, Serena, 2007.
"Editors' Report 2006,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 503-503, October.
- Andersen, Torben G., 2006. "Editor Report 2005," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 505-505, October.
- AfDB AfDB, . "African Development Report 2006," African Development Report, African Development Bank, African Development Bank, number 23 edited by Adeleke Oluwole Salami, 9.
- Klepper, Steven & Simons, Kenneth L, 1997. "Technological Extinctions of Industrial Firms: An Inquiry into Their Nature and Causes," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 379-460, March.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Cassiman, Bruno, 1999. "Make and buy in innovation strategies: evidence from Belgian manufacturing firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Enright, Michael J. & Scott, Edith E. & Dodwell, David, 1997. "The Hong Kong Advantage," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780195903225, October.
- Yam, Richard C.M. & Lo, William & Tang, Esther P.Y. & Lau, Antonio K.W., 2011. "Analysis of sources of innovation, technological innovation capabilities, and performance: An empirical study of Hong Kong manufacturing industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 391-402, April.
- William Lazonick, 2004. "Indigenous Innovation and Economic Development: Lessons from China's Leap into the Information Age," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 273-297.
- Clayton M. Christensen & Fernando F. Suárez & James M. Utterback, 1998. "Strategies for Survival in Fast-Changing Industries," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages S207-S220, December.
- Iwasaki, Ichiro, 2013. "Global Financial Crisis, Corporate Governance, and Firm Survival: The Russian Experience," RRC Working Paper Series, Russian Research Center, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University 37, Russian Research Center, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.