Competitiveness Implications for Ireland of EU Enlargement
AbstractTen states, primarily from Central and Eastern Europe, are likely to be admitted to the EU within the next few years. The present paper assesses the competitiveness implications of this enlargement for Ireland. Four specific topics are considered - the trade effects, the implications for Ireland?s ability to attract FDI, the likely levels of immigration from Central and Eastern Europe and its consequences, and the budgetary implications for the Irish Exchequer.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School Of Economics, University College Dublin in its series Working Papers with number 200224.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 10 Oct 2002
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1999. "Report No. 3: Assessment of Possible Migration Pressure and its Labour Market Impact Following EU Enlargement to Central and Eastern Europe," IZA Research Reports 3, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barrett, Alan & FitzGerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2002.
"Earnings inequality, returns to education and immigration into Ireland,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 665-680, November.
- Barrett, Alan & Fitz Gerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2000. "Earnings Inequality, Returns to Education and Immigration into Ireland," CEPR Discussion Papers 2493, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barrett, Alan & FitzGerald, John & Nolan, Brian, 2000. "Earnings Inequality, Returns to Education and Immigration into Ireland," IZA Discussion Papers 167, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ferto, Imre & Hubbard, Lionel J., 2001. "Intra-Industry Trade In Agri-Food Products Between Hungary And The Eu," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20450, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2000. "Aggregate-Level Migration Studies as a Tool for Forecasting Future Migration Streams," IZA Discussion Papers 183, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolas Clifton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.