Satisfaction and protection of individual mobile telecommunications consumers
AbstractThe focus of this paper is to measure customer satisfaction among private individual consumers of mobile telecommunications in Spain and the factors associated with this. Two novelties found in this paper are a focus on individual consumers and the usage of rich data to convey high quality statistical information. Our data allow us to discriminate by operator, region of residence (Autonomous Regions and provinces), gender, age, and educational level, among others. Specifically, we formulate relationships between different aspects of satisfaction and its determinants. We specify econometric models and estimate them using survey data on 4,953 individual consumers. Our results indicate that customers are less satisfied with larger carriers like Movistar and Vodafone, and are more satisfied with smaller and newer operators. We also measure the contribution of each of the aspects of satisfaction to the overall satisfaction by specifying individual equations for each one of them and estimating the importance of each of its determinants. Complaints about billing, difficulty in obtaining the required information and coverage are the major contributors to consumer (dis)satisfaction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales in its series Documentos del Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico with number 2012-21.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Consumer satisfaction; Consumer protection; Mobile telecommunications; Individual private consumers; Survey data; Econometric models.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- L52 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Industrial Policy; Sectoral Planning Methods
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Song, Jae-Do, 2010. "Various wholesale price equilibria for mobile virtual network operators," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 633-648, November.
- Escribano, Álvaro & Zaballos, Antonio G., 2002. "Evolución de la Estructura de Mercado de las Telecomunicaciones en España," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/2566, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Lam, Pun-Lee & Shiu, Alice, 2010. "Economic growth, telecommunications development and productivity growth of the telecommunications sector: Evidence around the world," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 185-199, May.
- Karacuka, Mehmet & Haucap, Justus & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2011. "Competition in Turkish mobile telecommunications markets: Price elasticities and network substitution," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 202-210, March.
- Lee, Ya-Ching, 2011. "Competitive relationships between traditional and contemporary telecommunication services in Taiwan," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 543-554, July.
- Escribano, Álvaro & García Zaballos, Antonio & González, P., 2003. "Análisis Económico de las Telecomunicaciones en España: Fortalezas y Debilidades," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/2569, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Palcic, Dónal & Reeves, Eoin, 0. "Organisational status change and performance: The case of Ireland's national telecommunications operator," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5-6), pages 299-308, June.
- Zhang, Jing & Liang, Xiong-Jian, 2011. "Business ecosystem strategies of mobile network operators in the 3G era: The case of China Mobile," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 156-171, March.
- Symeou, Pavlos C., 2011. "Economy size and performance: An efficiency analysis in the telecommunications sector," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 426-440, June.
- Ono, Shigeru & Tang, Puay, 2010. "The role of mobile handsets in advanced network service evolution: Evidence from Japan," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 444-460, September.
- Dedrick, Jason & Kraemer, Kenneth L. & Linden, Greg, 2011. "The distribution of value in the mobile phone supply chain," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 505-521, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.