An empirical Analysis of the Counter-factual: A Merger and Divestiture in the Australian Cigarette Industry
AbstractIn this paper we empirically analyse two counter-factual situations facing an anti-trust authority following the merger of two of the largest international cigarette companies. First we estimate a nested logit model of demand for cigarettes. The implied elasticity of demand for smoking and implied marginal costs are both broadly consistent with the limited independent estimates available. We then use the model to simulate the proposed merger and the partial divestiture that was accepted by the Australian anti-trust authority. A comparison of the relative price changes predicted by the divestiture simulation with the actual post-divestiture price changes shows the model successfully anticipated the behaviour of the divested brands. This suggests structural econometric analysis using a nested logit may be usefully utilised by anti-trust authorities to assess the welfare implications of proposed mergers and partial divestitures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, La Trobe University in its series Working Papers with number 2010.08.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Pham, Vivienne & Prentice, David, 2010. "An empirical analysis of the counterfactual: a merger and divestiture in the Australian cigarette industry," MPRA Paper 26713, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
- L66 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Food; Beverages; Cosmetics; Tobacco
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-90, July.
- D. S. Poskitt & C. L. Skeels, 2009.
"Assessing the magnitude of the concentration parameter in a simultaneous equations model,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(1), pages 26-44, 03.
- D. S. Poskitt & C. L. Skeels, 2004. "Assessing the Magnitude of the Concentration Parameter in a Simultaneous Equations Model," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 29/04, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Keane, Michael P., 2010. "Structural vs. atheoretic approaches to econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 156(1), pages 3-20, May.
- Richards, Timothy J., 2005.
"A Nested Logit Model of Strategic Promotion,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19336, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bardsley, P. & Olekans, N., 1998.
"Cigarette and Tobacco Consumption: Have Anti-Smoking Policies Made a Difference?,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
615, The University of Melbourne.
- Bardsley, Peter & Olekalns, Nilss, 1999. "Cigarette and Tobacco Consumption: Have Anti-smoking Policies Made a Difference?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(230), pages 225-40, September.
- Nevo, Aviv, 1998.
"Measuring Market Power in the Ready-To-Eat Cereal Industry,"
25164, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Nevo, Aviv, 2001. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 307-42, March.
- Aviv Nevo, 1998. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," NBER Working Papers 6387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nevo, Aviv, 1999. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt7cm5p858, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Aviv Nevo, 2003. "Measuring Market Power in the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," Microeconomics 0303006, EconWPA.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Nevo, Aviv, 2010.
"Recent developments in empirical IO: dynamic demand and dynamic games,"
27814, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Victor Aguirregabiria & Aviv Nevo & Aviv Nevo, 2010. "Recent Developments in Empirical IO: Dynamic Demand and Dynamic Games," Working Papers tecipa-419, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Hendel, Igal, 1999. "Estimating Multiple-Discrete Choice Models: An Application to Computerization Returns," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(2), pages 423-46, April.
- Cardell, N. Scott, 1997. "Variance Components Structures for the Extreme-Value and Logistic Distributions with Application to Models of Heterogeneity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(02), pages 185-213, April.
- Dongling Huang & Christian Rojas & Frank Bass, 2008. "WHAT HAPPENS WHEN DEMAND IS ESTIMATED WITH A MISSPECIFIED MODEL? -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 809-839, December.
- John Tauras & Richard Peck & Frank Chaloupka, 2006. "The Role of Retail Prices and Promotions in Determining Cigarette Brand Market Shares," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 253-284, 05.
- Ackerberg, Daniel & Lanier Benkard, C. & Berry, Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 2007. "Econometric Tools for Analyzing Market Outcomes," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 63 Elsevier.
- Jean-Pierre H. Dubé & Jeremy T. Fox & Che-Lin Su, 2009. "Improving the Numerical Performance of BLP Static and Dynamic Discrete Choice Random Coefficients Demand Estimation," NBER Working Papers 14991, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peters, Craig, 2006. "Evaluating the Performance of Merger Simulation: Evidence from the U.S. Airline Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(2), pages 627-49, October.
- Christopher R. Knittel & Konstantinos Metaxoglou, 2008. "Estimation of Random Coefficient Demand Models: Challenges, Difficulties and Warnings," NBER Working Papers 14080, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chiou, Lesley, 2008. "The timing of movie releases: Evidence from the home video industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1059-1073, September.
- Oliver Budzinski & Isabel Ruhmer, 2008.
"Merger Simulation in Competition Policy: A Survey,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
200807, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Aviv Nevo, 2000. "Mergers with Differentiated Products: The Case of the Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(3), pages 395-421, Autumn.
- Jith Jayaratne & Carl Shapiro, 2000. "Simulating Partial Asset Divestitures to 'Fix' Mergers," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 179-200.
- Daniel A. Ackerberg & Marc Rysman, 2002.
"Unobserved Product Differentiation in Discrete Choice Models: Estimating Price Elasticities and Welfare Effects,"
NBER Working Papers
8798, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel A. Ackerberg & Marc Rysman, 2005. "Unobserved Product Differentiation in Discrete-Choice Models: Estimating Price Elasticities and Welfare Effects," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(4), pages 771-788, Winter.
- Harry Clarke & David Prentice, 2012.
"Will Plain Packaging Reduce Cigarette Consumption?,"
2012.03, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Harry Clarke & David Prentice, 2012. "Will Plain Packaging Reduce Cigarette Consumption?," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 31(3), pages 303-317, 09.
- Ying, Xiongwei & Anders, Sven M., 2013. "Competition between Private Label and National Brand for Health-differentiated Food Product: A Canadian Retailing Case," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 151280, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Vivienne Pham & David Prentice, 2013. "A Random Coefficients Logit Analysis of the Counterfactual: A Merger and Divestiture in the Australian Cigarette Industry," Working Papers 2013.04, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Scoglio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.