Estimating the Impact of Whaling on Global Whale Watching
AbstractAfter the commercial whaling moratorium was enacted in 1986, whale watching became one of the fastest growing tourism industries worldwide. As whaling was regarded as an activity incompatible with whale watching, the possible resumption of commercial whaling caused an urgent need to investigate the potential negative effects of whaling on the whale-watching industry. We examine the potential impacts of whaling on the global whale-watching tourism industry using unbalanced panel data model. The empirical results indicate that the resumption of commercial whaling has the potential for a negative effect on the global whale-watching industry, especially for nations that are engaged in whaling.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-634.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Hsiao-I Kuo & Chi-Chung Chen & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Estimating the Impact of Whaling on Global Whale Watching," KIER Working Papers 728, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Kuo, H-I. & Chen, C-C. & McAleer, M.J., 2009. "Estimating the impact of whaling on global whale watching," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2009-23, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Hsiao-I Kuo & Chi-Chung Chen & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Estimating the Impact of Whaling on Global Whale Watching," Working Papers in Economics 10/30, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Hsiao-I Kuo & Chi-Chung Chen & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Estimating the Impact of Whaling on Global Whale Watching," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 2011-23, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
- Q26 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Recreational Aspects of Natural Resources
- Q57 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Ecological Economics
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2009-09-19 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2009-09-19 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Horan & James Shortle, 1999. "Optimal Management of Multiple Renewable Resource Stocks: An Application to Minke Whales," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 13(4), pages 435-458, June.
- Conrad, Jon M, 1989. "Bioeconomics and the Bowhead Whale," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 974-87, August.
- Bjørndal, Trond & Conrad, Jon M, 1998. "A report on the Norwegian minke whale hunt," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 161-174, March.
- Hsiao,Cheng, 2003.
"Analysis of Panel Data,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521522717, April.
- Herrera, Guillermo E. & Hoagland, Porter, 2006. "Commercial whaling, tourism, and boycotts: An economic perspective," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 261-269, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.