From natural resources and environmental accounting to construction of indicators for sustainable development
AbstractNorway has a long history in trying to develop management tools for sustainable development. From the early development of natural resources accounts in the 1980’s, through discussions of the usefulness of indices like “green GDP” to efforts of developing sustainable development indicators, experiences have been gained. The paper seeks to both describe the landscape and discussions associated with the key terms, and to communicate some lessons drawn from the Norwegian experiences. The conclusion focuses on the fact that whatever information is collected and organised to support the relevant decision-making processes, the final outcome should always be judged in terms of its impacts on policy processes. Thus, we issue a warning against large-scale development of information systems, without due regard to the final utilisation of the output.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Department of Statistics Norway in its series Discussion Papers with number 478.
Date of creation: Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Green accounting; Natural resource and environmental accounting; sustainable development indicators; green GDP; SEEA;
Other versions of this item:
- Alfsen, Knut H. & Greaker, Mads, 2007. "From natural resources and environmental accounting to construction of indicators for sustainable development," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 600-610, March.
- N5 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries
- Q2 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation
- Q3 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2007-01-13 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2007-01-13 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2007-01-13 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julie L. Hass & Frode Brunvoll & Henning Hoie, 2002. "Overview of Sustainable Development Indicators used by National and International Agencies," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2002/2, OECD Publishing.
- William D. Nordhaus & James Tobin, 1972.
"Is Growth Obsolete?,"
in: Economic Research: Retrospect and Prospect Vol 5: Economic Growth, pages 1-80
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aaheim, Asbjorn & Nyborg, Karine, 1995. "On the Interpretation and Applicability of a "Green National Product."," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 41(1), pages 57-71, March.
- Annegrete Bruvoll & Karin Ibenholt, 1996. "Future Waste Generation - Forecasts Based on a Macroeconomic Model," Discussion Papers 175, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Knut Alfsen & Hans Sæbø, 1993. "Environmental quality indicators: Background, principles and examples from Norway," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 3(5), pages 415-435, October.
- Mariana MAN & Bogdan RAVAS & Maria MACRIS, 2012. "Environment Costs: Structure And Acknowledgement. Their Dynamics In Romania After The Integration Within The European Union," Internal Auditing and Risk Management, Athenaeum University of Bucharest, vol. 2(26), pages 62 - 85, June.
- Samakovlis, Eva, 2008. "How are Green National Accounts Produced in Practice?," Working Paper 105, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Dovern, Jonas & Rickels, Wilfried & Quaas, Martin F., 2012.
"Nachhaltigkeitspotenzial deutscher Städte,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
59526, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Greaker, Mads & Stoknes, Per Espen & Alfsen, Knut H. & Ericson, Torgeir, 2013.
"A Kantian approach to sustainable development indicators for climate change,"
Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 10-18.
- Mads Greaker & Per Espen Stoknes & Knut H. Alfsen & Torgeir Ericson, 2012. "A Kantian approach to sustainable development indicators for climate change," Discussion Papers 718, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Martin Visbeck & Ulrike Kronfeld-Goharani & Barbara Neumann & Wilfried Rickels & Jörn Schmidt & Erik van Doorn, 2013. "Establishing a Sustainable Development Goal for Oceans and Coasts to Face the Challenges of our Future Ocean," Kiel Working Papers 1847, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.