Environmental quality indicators: Background, principles and examples from Norway
AbstractThe need for a simple and general overview of the development in the state of the environment has led to work on environmental indicators in several countries and international organizations. Except for the basic common requirement of providing an overview, the works vary a great deal with regard to final aim, target groups, classification and, hence, choice of indicators. This paper gives an overview of the work carried out in the Central Bureau of Statistics of Norway within this field, with emphasis on the basic principles behind the choice of indicators. A hierarchical system of indicator sets is proposed, and examples of indicators are presented. Also, a brief overview of work carried out elsewhere is included. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1993
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental & Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 3 (1993)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Azar, Christian & Holmberg, John & Lindgren, Kristian, 1996. "Socio-ecological indicators for sustainability," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 89-112, August.
- Greaker, Mads & Stoknes, Per Espen & Alfsen, Knut H. & Ericson, Torgeir, 2013.
"A Kantian approach to sustainable development indicators for climate change,"
Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 10-18.
- Mads Greaker & Per Espen Stoknes & Knut H. Alfsen & Torgeir Ericson, 2012. "A Kantian approach to sustainable development indicators for climate change," Discussion Papers 718, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Nyborg, Karine, 2000. "Project analysis as input to public debate: Environmental valuation versus physical unit indicators," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 393-408, September.
- Knut H. Alfsen & Mads Greaker, 2006.
"From natural resources and environmental accounting to construction of indicators for sustainable development,"
478, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Alfsen, Knut H. & Greaker, Mads, 2007. "From natural resources and environmental accounting to construction of indicators for sustainable development," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 600-610, March.
- Skonhoft, Anders & Solem, Havard, 2001. "Economic growth and land-use changes: the declining amount of wilderness land in Norway," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 289-301, May.
- Michee Lachaud & Jorge Maldonado, 2011. "Aproximación al cálculo del crecimiento real de Colombia: aportes metodológicos para la inclusión en las cuentas nacionales de los impactos del," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Renate Schubert, 1998. "Indikatoren für Nachhaltigkeit," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 134(III), pages 391-414, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.