Aggregate Industry Behaviour in a Monopolistic Competition Model with Heterogeneous Firms
AbstractThe paper analyses how a tractable representation of productivity heterogeneity among firms modifies the standard Dixit-Stiglitz (DS) model of monopolistic competition. The properties of the asymmetric model are explored by comparative statics analysis. The equilibrium adjustments of industry aggregates, such as the number of firms, output and the productivity of variable inputs are compared with the corresponding adjustments in the symmetric model. The analysis thereby clarifies when and why the standard DS model may provide a misleading picture of the aggregate industry behaviour. A by-product of the paper is to demonstrate that a more realistic description of a basic aspect of technology heterogeneity can be taken into account at a relatively low cost in terms of reduced tractability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Department of Statistics Norway in its series Discussion Papers with number 352.
Date of creation: Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Monopolistic competition; productivity heterogeneity; aggregation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-MIC-2003-09-14 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Klette, T.J., 1998.
"Market Power, Scale Economies and Productivity: Estimates from a Panel of Establishment Data,"
15/1998, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Klette, Tor Jakob, 1999. "Market Power, Scale Economies and Productivity: Estimates from a Panel of Establishment Data," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 451-76, December.
- Tor Jakob KLETTE & Astrid MATHIASSEN, 1996.
"Job Creation, Job Destruction and Plant Turnover in Norvegian Manufacturing,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 41-42, pages 97-125.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Astrid Mathiassen, 1995. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and Plant Turnover in Norwegian Manufacturing," Discussion Papers 136, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Brakman, Steven & Heijdra, Ben J., 2002. "The monopolistic competition revolution in retrospect," CCSO Working Papers 200215, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Leahy, Dermot & Montagna, Catia, 1997.
"Strategic Trade Policy When Firms Have Different Efficiency Levels,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1549, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- C Montagna, . "Strategic Trade Policy When Firms Have Different Efficiency Levels," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 070, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Montagna, Catia, 1995. "Monopolistic Competition with Firm-Specific Costs," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(2), pages 318-28, April.
- Erling Holmøy & Torbjørn Hægeland, 1997. "Aggregate Productivity Effects of Technology Shocks in a Model of Heterogeneous Firms: The Importance of Equilibrium Adjustments," Discussion Papers 198, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Leahy, D. & Montagna, C., 1997. "Strategic Trade Policy With Domestic Cost Asymmetries," Papers 97/27, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Brakman,Steven & Heijdra,Ben J. (ed.), 2003. "The Monopolistic Competition Revolution in Retrospect," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521819916, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.