Monopolistic Competition with Firm-Specific Costs
AbstractThis paper extends a Dixit-Stiglitz model of monopolistic competition to allow for technical heterogeneity amongst firms. The dispersion of firms' technical efficiency within the industry is generated by a random process and is shown to lead to a steady-state spectrum of profits and market shares. Market structure is endogenously determined and the existence of efficiency gaps and the uncertainty faced by potential entrants are identified as the factor limiting rational entry. Thus, entry is shown not to eliminate long-run profits and, contrary to the homogeneous firms case and consistent with empirical findings, the model yields a positive relationship between concentration and profitability. Copyright 1995 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 47 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mohamed Suleiman and Mahmoud Nabi, . "Unemployment and Labor Market Institutions: Theory And Evidence From the GCC," API-Working Paper Series 0806, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
- Hassan Molana & Catia Montagna, 1998.
"Market Structure, Cost Asymmetries and Fiscal Policy Effectiveness,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
089, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Molana, Hassan & Montagna, Catia, 2000. "Market structure, cost asymmetries, and fiscal policy effectiveness," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 101-107, July.
- Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, 1998. "Targeted Strategic Trade Policy with Domestic Cost Heterogeneity," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 100, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Allanson, Paul & Montagna, Catia, 2005.
"Multiproduct firms and market structure: An explorative application to the product life cycle,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 587-597, September.
- Paul Allanson & Catia Montagna, 1999. "Multiproduct Firms and Market Structure: An Explorative Application to the Product Life Cycle," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 101, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Catia Montagna & Antonella Nocco, 2008.
"Labour Market Imperfections, International Integration and Selection,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
212, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Montagna, Catia & Nocco, Antonella, 2008. "Labour Market Imperfections, International Integration and Selection," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-21, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Erling Holmøy, 2003. "Aggregate Industry Behaviour in a Monopolistic Competition Model with Heterogeneous Firms," Discussion Papers 352, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Jang Ping Thia, 2008. "The Impact of Trade on Aggregate Productivity and Welfare with Heterogeneous Firms and Business Cycle Uncertainty," CEP Discussion Papers dp0883, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ferdinand Rauch, 2008. "An explanation for the inverted-U relationship between competition and innovation," Vienna Economics Papers 0813, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- repec:dun:dpaper:89 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marco Alderighi & Claudio A. Piga, 2008.
"The Circular City with Heterogeneous Firms,"
Discussion Paper Series
2008_03, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jul 2008.
- Erling Holmøy & Torbjørn Hægeland, 2000. "Aggregate Productivity and Heterogeneous Firms," Discussion Papers 266, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- SÃ©bastien Jean, 2002.
"International Trade and Firms' Heterogeneity under Monopolistic Competition,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 291-311, July.
- Sébastien Jean, 2000. "International Trade and Firms’ Heterogeneity Under Monopolistic Competition," Working Papers 2000-13, CEPII research center.
- Erling Holmøy & Torbjørn Hægeland, 1997. "Aggregate Productivity Effects of Technology Shocks in a Model of Heterogeneous Firms: The Importance of Equilibrium Adjustments," Discussion Papers 198, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Lionel Fontagné & Matthieu Crozet, 2010. "L'internationalisation des entreprises : une analyse microéconomique de la mondialisation," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 435(1), pages 3-12.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.