Malmquist indexes with quasi-fixed inputs: An application to school districts in Québec
AbstractIn a non-market environment, there is no pressure coming from competitors that leads firms toward efficiency. Public education system is the target of many critiques as being such an example of inefficiency. Some papers attempted to measure the level of inefficiency of schools or school districts using different methods. Unfortunately, those methods do not include an important aspect of the school management that is characterized by the incapacity to adjust some inputs like buildings and equipment to their optimal level. In this paper, we use a generalization of Malmquist indexes that introduces this lack of flexibility in the measurement of productivity and we apply this method in the case of school districts in the Province of Québec (Canada).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 08-25.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 12 Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Data envelopment analysis; Efficiency; Productivity; Québec school districts;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalyan Chakraborty & Basudeb Biswas & W. Cris Lewis, 2001. "Measurement of Technical Efficiency in Public Education: A Stochastic and Nonstochastic Production Function Approach," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 889-905, April.
- Jaume Puig-Junoy, 1998. "Technical efficiency in the clinical management of critically ill patients," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 263-277.
- Kirjavainen, Tanja & Loikkanent, Heikki A., 1998.
"Efficiency differences of finnish senior secondary schools: An application of DEA and Tobit analysis,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 377-394, October.
- Kirjavainen, Tanja & Loikkanen, Heikki, 1996. "Efficiency Differences of Finnish Senior Secondary Schools: An Application of DEA and Tobit-Analysis," Discussion Papers 570, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- A. T. Flegg & D. O. Allen & K. Field & T. W. Thurlow, 2004. "Measuring the efficiency of British universities: a multi-period data envelopment analysis," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 231-249.
- Pierre Ouellette & Li Yan, 2008.
"Investment and dynamic DEA,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 235-247, June.
- David Lambert, 1999. "Scale and the Malmquist productivity index," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(9), pages 593-596.
- Elvira Silva & Spiro E. Stefanou, 2007. "Dynamic Efficiency Measurement: Theory and Application," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(2), pages 398-419.
- Brenda Gannon, 2007. "Total factor productivity growth of hospitals in Ireland: a nonparametric approach," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 131-135.
- Grosskopf, Shawna & Moutray, Chad, 2001. "Evaluating performance in Chicago public high schools in the wake of decentralization," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Nemoto, Jiro & Goto, Mika, 1999. "Dynamic data envelopment analysis: modeling intertemporal behavior of a firm in the presence of productive inefficiencies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 51-56, July.
- Mette Asmild & Fai Tam, 2007. "Estimating global frontier shifts and global Malmquist indices," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 137-148, April.
- Ouellette, Pierre & Vierstraete, Valerie, 2004. "Technological change and efficiency in the presence of quasi-fixed inputs: A DEA application to the hospital sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(3), pages 755-763, May.
- López-Torres, Laura & Prior, Diego , 2013. "Do Parents Perceive The Technical Quality Of Public Schools? An Activity Analysis Approach," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 13(3), pages 39-60.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luc Savard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.