The impact of the French Tobin tax
AbstractWe analyse the impact of the introduction of the French Tobin tax on volumes, liquidity and volatility of a ected stocks with parametric and non parametric tests on individual stocks, di erence in di erence tests and other robustness checks controlling for simultaneous month-of-the-year and size e ects. Our ndings document that the tax has a signi cant impact in terms of reduction in transaction volumes and intraday volatility. The reduction in volumes traded occurs in similar proportion in non taxed small cap stocks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit in its series AICCON Working Papers with number 118-2013.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Financial Transaction Tax; intraday volatility; liquidity; transaction volumes.;
Other versions of this item:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Imbens & Karthik Kalyanaraman, 2009.
"Optimal Bandwidth Choice for the Regression Discontinuity Estimator,"
NBER Working Papers
14726, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido Imbens & Karthik Kalyanaraman, 2012. "Optimal Bandwidth Choice for the Regression Discontinuity Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 79(3), pages 933-959.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Kalyanaraman, Karthik, 2009. "Optimal Bandwidth Choice for the Regression Discontinuity Estimator," IZA Discussion Papers 3995, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guido Imbens & Karthik Kalyanaraman, 2010. "Optimal bandwidth choice for the regression discontinuity estimator," CeMMAP working papers CWP05/10, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Umlauf, Steven R., 1993. "Transaction taxes and the behavior of the Swedish stock market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 227-240, April.
- Stiglitz, J.E., 1989. "Using Tax Policy To Curb Speculative Short-Term Trading," Papers t2, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Badi Baltagi & Dong Li & Qi Li, 2006. "Transaction tax and stock market behavior: evidence from an emerging market," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 393-408, June.
- Shinhua Liu, 2007. "Securities Transaction Tax and Market Efficiency: Evidence from the Japanese Experience," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 161-176, December.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Olena Havrylchyk, 2013.
"The Impact of the French Securities Transaction Tax on Market Liquidity and Volatility,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Olena Havrylchyk, 2013. "The Impact of the French Securities Transaction Tax on Market Liquidity and Volatility," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 13085, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Gunther CAPELLE-BLANCARD & HAVRYLCHYK, Olena, 2014. "The Impact of the French Securities Transaction Tax on Market Liquidity and Volatility," Discussion papers 14007, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Olena Havrylchyk, 2014. "The Impact of the French Securities Transaction Tax on Market Liquidity and Volatility," EconomiX Working Papers 2014-27, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paolo Venturi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.