The economic consequences of a Tobin tax - An experimental analysis
AbstractThe effects of a Tobin tax on foreign exchange markets have long been disputed. We present an experiment with currency trading on two markets, where either none, one, or both markets are taxed. Our results confirm the hitherto undisputed issues: a tax reduces trading volume, shifts market share to untaxed markets, and leads to negligible tax revenues if tax havens exist. Concerning the controversial issues we find that (i) volatility effects depend on the existence of tax havens and on market size, (ii) market efficiency remains unaffected by the tax, (iii) short-term speculation is reduced, and (iv) the tax has persistent effects even after its abolishment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck in its series Working Papers with number 2007-18.
Date of creation: Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universitätsstraße 15, A - 6020 Innsbruck
Web page: http://www.uibk.ac.at/fakultaeten/volkswirtschaft_und_statistik/index.html.en
More information through EDIRC
Tobin tax; Experiment; Foreign exchange; Market efficiency; Trading volume; Volatility;
Other versions of this item:
- Hanke, Michael & Huber, Jürgen & Kirchler, Michael & Sutter, Matthias, 2010. "The economic consequences of a Tobin tax--An experimental analysis," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 74(1-2), pages 58-71, May.
- C91 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Individual Behavior
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-EXP-2007-08-27 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2007-08-27 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglitz, J.E., 1989. "Using Tax Policy To Curb Speculative Short-Term Trading," Papers t2, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Hau, Harald, 2002.
"The Role of Transaction Costs for Financial Volatility: Evidence from the Paris Bourse,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3651, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harald Hau, 2006. "The Role of Transaction Costs for Financial Volatility: Evidence from the Paris Bourse," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(4), pages 862-890, 06.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Tobin, James & Wyplosz, Charles, 1995.
"Two Cases for Sand in the Wheels of International Finance,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(428), pages 162-72, January.
- Barry Eichengreen, James Tobin, and Charles Wyplosz., 1994. "Two Cases for Sand in the Wheels of International Finance," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C94-045, University of California at Berkeley.
- Kenen, Peter B, 1995. "Capital Controls, the EMS and EMU," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(428), pages 181-92, January.
- Rohit Rahi & James Dow, 1998.
"Should Speculators be Taxed?,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp291, Financial Markets Group.
- Sunder, S., 1992. "Experimental Asset Markets: A Survey," GSIA Working Papers 1992-19, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Frank Westerhoff, 2003.
"Heterogeneous traders and the Tobin tax,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 53-70, 02.
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1995. "A Securities Transactions Tax And Capital Market Efficiency," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(1), pages 101-112, 01.
- Gudrun Ehrenstein, 2002. "Cont-Bouchaud percolation model including Tobin tax," Papers cond-mat/0205320, arXiv.org.
- Frank Westerhoff, 2004.
"The effectiveness of Keynes-Tobin transaction taxes when heterogeneous agents can trade in different markets: A behavioral finance approach,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2004
14, Society for Computational Economics.
- Westerhoff, Frank H. & Dieci, Roberto, 2006. "The effectiveness of Keynes-Tobin transaction taxes when heterogeneous agents can trade in different markets: A behavioral finance approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 293-322, February.
- James Tobin, 1978.
"A Proposal for International Monetary Reform,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 4(3-4), pages 153-159, Jul/Oct.
- Thomas Palley, 1999. "Speculation and Tobin taxes: Why sand in the wheels can increase economic efficiency," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 69(2), pages 113-126, June.
- Summers, L.H. & Summers, V.P., 1989. "When Financial Markets Work Too Well : A Cautious Case For A Securities Transactions Tax," Papers t12, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- G. Ehrenstein & F. Westerhoff & D. Stauffer, 2003.
"Tobin tax and market depth,"
- Daniel Fricke & Thomas Lux, 2013. "The Effects of a Financial Transaction Tax in an Artificial Financial Market," Kiel Working Papers 1868, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Andrea M. Leiter & Gerald J. Pruckner, .
"Proportionality of willingness to pay to small changes in risk - The impact of attitudinal factors in scope tests,"
2007-30, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Andrea Leiter & Gerald Pruckner, 2009. "Proportionality of Willingness to Pay to Small Changes in Risk: The Impact of Attitudinal Factors in Scope Tests," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 42(2), pages 169-186, February.
- Noussair, C.N. & Tucker, S., 2013.
"Experimental Research On Asset Pricing,"
2013-020, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Olivier Damette, 2013. "Mixture distribution hypothesis and the impact of a Tobin tax on exhange rate volatility : a reassessment," Working Papers of BETA 2013-07, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Jesus Crespo Cuaresma & Andreas Breitenfellner, . "Crude Oil Prices and the Euro-Dollar Exchange Rate: A Forecasting Exercise," Working Papers 2008-08, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Harald Oberhofer & Michael Pfaffermayr, .
"FDI versus Exports. Substitutes or Complements? A Three Nation Model and Empirical Evidence,"
2007-28, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Harald Oberhofer & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2008. "FDI versus Exports Substitutes or Complements? A Three Nations Model and Empirical Evidence," FIW Working Paper series 012, FIW.
- Thornton Matheson, 2012. "Security transaction taxes: issues and evidence," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 19(6), pages 884-912, December.
- Olivier Damette & Stéphane Goutte, 2014. "Tobin tax and trading volume tightening: a reassessment," Working Papers halshs-00926805, HAL.
- Lendvai, Julia & Raciborski, Rafal & Vogel, Lukas, 2013. "Macroeconomic effects of an equity transaction tax in a general-equilibrium model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 466-482.
- Huber, Jürgen & Kleinlercher, Daniel & Kirchler, Michael, 2012. "The impact of a financial transaction tax on stylized facts of price returns—Evidence from the lab," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1248-1266.
- Olivier Damette, 2009. "Exchange rate volatility and noise traders: Currency Transaction Tax as an eviction device," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 2449-2464.
- Kirchler, Michael & Huber, Jürgen & Kleinlercher, Daniel, 2011. "Market microstructure matters when imposing a Tobin tax—Evidence from the lab," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 586-602.
- Tobin-Steuer in Wikipedia (German)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janette Walde).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.