Security transaction taxes and financial volatility: Athens stock exchange
AbstractThe study examines the effects of security transaction tax on volatility. It focuses on whether the tax has a greater effect on highly traded stocks since it penalizes entering and exiting the market and on whether it depends on the state of the stock market. The results highlight the differential effect of transaction tax on volatility during bear and bull periods casting doubts on the findings of previous studies, which did not allow for that. The effects are stronger for highly traded stocks and during bull periods but volatility increases instead of falling as intended by the proponents of transaction taxes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2007)
Issue (Month): 18 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anna Pomeranets & Daniel G. Weaver, 2011. "Security Transaction Taxes and Market Quality," Working Papers 11-26, Bank of Canada.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Olena Havrylchyk, 2013.
"The Impact of the French Securities Transaction Tax on Market Liquidity and Volatility,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
13085, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Gunther CAPELLE-BLANCARD & HAVRYLCHYK, Olena, 2014. "The Impact of the French Securities Transaction Tax on Market Liquidity and Volatility," Discussion papers 14007, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Olena Havrylchyk, 2014. "The Impact of the French Securities Transaction Tax on Market Liquidity and Volatility," EconomiX Working Papers 2014-27, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Olena Havrylchyk, 2013. "The Impact of the French Securities Transaction Tax on Market Liquidity and Volatility," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00940251, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.