Optimal Bandwidth Choice for the Regression Discontinuity Estimator
AbstractWe investigate the choice of the bandwidth for the regression discontinuity estimator. We focus on estimation by local linear regression, which was shown to have attractive properties (Porter, J. 2003, "Estimation in the Regression Discontinuity Model" (unpublished, Department of Economics, University of Wisconsin, Madison)). We derive the asymptotically optimal bandwidth under squared error loss. This optimal bandwidth depends on unknown functionals of the distribution of the data and we propose simple and consistent estimators for these functionals to obtain a fully data-driven bandwidth algorithm. We show that this bandwidth estimator is optimal according to the criterion of Li (1987, "Asymptotic Optimality for C p, C L, Cross-validation and Generalized Cross-validation: Discrete Index Set", Annals of Statistics, 15, 958--975), although it is not unique in the sense that alternative consistent estimators for the unknown functionals would lead to bandwidth estimators with the same optimality properties. We illustrate the proposed bandwidth, and the sensitivity to the choices made in our algorithm, by applying the methods to a data set previously analysed by Lee (2008, "Randomized Experiments from Non-random Selection in U.S. House Elections", Journal of Econometrics, 142, 675--697) as well as by conducting a small simulation study. Copyright , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal The Review of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 79 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Massimo Ferrari, 2013.
"The impact of the French Tobin tax,"
Econometica Working Papers
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Ferrari, Massimo & Trenta, Ugo, 2013. "The impact of the French Tobin tax," AICCON Working Papers 118-2013, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Massimo Ferrari & Ugo Trenta, 2013. "The impact of the French Tobin tax," CEIS Research Paper 266, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 01 Mar 2013.
- Ronny Freier & Sebastian Thomasius, 2012. "Voters Prefer More Qualified Mayors, but Does It Matter for Public Finances?: Evidence for Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1262, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Daniel Muller & Lionel Page, 2013. "Political Selection and the Relative Age Effect," QuBE Working Papers 009, QUT Business School.
- Scrimgeour, Dean & Conover, Emily, 2012. "Health Consequences of Easier Access to Alcohol: New Zealand Evidence," Working Papers 2012-04, Department of Economics, Colgate University, revised 20 Dec 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.