Determinants of Elderly Poverty in Vietnam
AbstractBy using household data in 2004, this paper identifies the determinants of the elderly poverty in Vietnam. We find that urban and rural elderly are substantially different, and thus they should be analyzed separately. The results for urban areas generally show that higher ages, unmarried status, residential regions, and working status have significant impacts on the likelihood of poverty for the elderly. In rural areas, higher ages, female, unmarried status, ethnic minorities, residential regions, household composition, and household size are determinant factors of the likelihood of poverty for the elderly. We also found some factors which are less important for both areas, including characteristics of household heads. Remittances and social security benefits appear to be important for reducing poverty of the elderly households, particularly in the rural areas. Based on findings, we formulate policy priorities, including reducing regional disparities, promoting the rural economy, and reforming the social security system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 9927.
Date of creation: May 2008
Date of revision:
elderly; poverty; Vietnam;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2008-08-14 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2008-08-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2008-08-14 (Development)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baulch, Bob & Truong Thi Kim Chuyen & Haughton, Dominique & Haughton, Jonathan, 2002. "Ethnic minority development in Vietnam : a socioeconomic perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2836, The World Bank.
- Giang, Thanh Long & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2007. "The Elderly Population in Vietnam during Economic Transformation: An Overview," MPRA Paper 24948, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giang, Thanh Long, 2004. "The Pension Scheme in Vietnam: Current Status and Challenges in an Aging Society," MPRA Paper 969, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Minot, Nicholas & Baulch, Bob & Epperecht, Michael, 2006. "Poverty and inequality in Vietnam: spatial patterns and geographic determinants," Research reports 148, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.