Targeting the Poor in Vietnam using a Small Area Estimation Method
AbstractTo estimate the poverty rate at the commune level, the Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs firstly collects information on households’ income per capita, and compares their income with a defined poverty line. A household is identified as a poor one if their income per capita is below the poverty line. Then, the poverty rate of a commune is simply the ratio of the defined poor households in that commune. This method can raise questions about the quality of the collected data on income. This paper examines the quality of expenditure data collected in this simple way. It is found that the expenditure data collected in the simple way are considerably lower than expenditure data collected using detailed questionnaires. Thus collection of expenditure or income data using simple questionnaires tends to underestimate the actual expenditure or income. For poverty targeting in small areas such as communes or districts, this paper suggests the application of this small areas estimation method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 25761.
Date of creation: 10 Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Poverty; the poor; poverty targeting; poverty mapping; small area estimation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Elbers & Jean O. Lanjouw & Peter Lanjouw, 2003. "Micro--Level Estimation of Poverty and Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 355-364, January.
- Minot, Nicholas & Baulch, Bob & Epperecht, Michael, 2006. "Poverty and inequality in Vietnam: spatial patterns and geographic determinants," Research reports 148, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- McGrath, Tim & Nguyen, Cuong & Pamela, White, 2006. "Assessment of the National Targeted Programmes for Poverty Reduction in Vietnam," MPRA Paper 54152, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McGrath, Tim & Nguyen, Cuong & Pamela, White, 2006. "Participatory and Pro-Poor Local Contribution Mechanisms in Poverty Reduction Program: Evidence from Vietnam," MPRA Paper 54151, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.