Poverty and inequality in Vietnam: spatial patterns and geographic determinants
Abstract"This study uses a relatively new method called “small area estimation” to estimate various measures of poverty and inequality for provinces, districts, and communes of Vietnam. The method was applied by combining information from the 1997-98 Vietnam Living Standards Survey and the 1999 Population and Housing Census... Mapping the density of poverty reveals that, although the poverty rates are highest in the remote upland areas, these areas are sparsely populated so most of the poor live in the Red River Delta and the Mekong River Delta... This analysis confirms other studies indicating that the inequality in per capita expenditure is relatively low in Vietnam by international standards. Inequality is greatest in the large cities and (surprisingly) in parts of the upland areas. Inequality is lowest in the Red River Delta, followed by the Mekong Delta. Just one-third of the inequality is found between districts and two-thirds within them, suggesting that district-level targeting of anti-poverty programs may not be very effective... Finally, the study notes that the small area estimation method is not very useful for annual poverty mapping because it relies on census data, but it could be used to show detailed spatial patterns in other variables of interest to policymakers, such as income diversification, agricultural market surplus, and vulnerability. Furthermore, it can be used to estimate poverty rates among vulnerable populations too small to be studied with household survey data, such as the disabled, small ethnic minorities, or fishermen." from Authors' summary
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series Research reports with number 148.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
south east asia; East and Southeast Asia; Vietnam; Inequality; Poverty mapping;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Minot, Nicholas & Baulch, Bob, 2002.
"The spatial distribution of poverty in Vietnam and the potential for targeting,"
MSSD discussion papers
42, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Minot, Nicholas & Baulch, Bob, 2002. "The spatial distribution of poverty in Vietnam and the potential for targeting," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2829, The World Bank.
- Minot, Nicholas & Baulch, Bob, 2002. "The spatial distribution of poverty in Vietnam and the potential for targeting," MTID discussion papers 42, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Yu, Bingxin & Zhu, Tingju & Breisinger, Clemens & Manh Hai, Nguyen, 2012. "Examine the Agriculture, Poverty, and Climate Change Nexus in Vietnam," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126876, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Anonymous & MacAulay, T. Gordon & Van Hung, Pham, 2006. "Agricultural Development and Land Policy in Vietnam," Monographs, Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research, number 114071.
- Miguel, Edward & Roland, Gérard, 2011.
"The long-run impact of bombing Vietnam,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 1-15, September.
- Jesse Naidoo, 2009. "Finite-Sample Bias and Inconsistency in the Estimation of Poverty Maps," SALDRU Working Papers 36, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Giang, Thanh Long & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2008. "Determinants of Elderly Poverty in Vietnam," MPRA Paper 9927, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Minten, Bart & Reardon, Thomas & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2009.
"Linking urban consumers and rural farmers in India: a comparison of traditional and modern food supply chains,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/247202, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Minten, Bart & Reardon, Thomas & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2009. "Linking urban consumers and rural farmers in India: A comparison of traditional and modern food supply chains," IFPRI discussion papers 883, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nguyen Viet, Cuong & Van der Weide, Roy & Tran, Ngoc Truong, 2007. "Updating Poverty Maps of Vietnam using Vietnam Household Living Standard Survey 2002 and Population Census 1999," MPRA Paper 25762, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Epprecht & Daniel Müller & Nicholas Minot, 2011. "How remote are Vietnam’s ethnic minorities? An analysis of spatial patterns of poverty and inequality," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 349-368, April.
- Pham, Hung T, 2006. "Rural Nonfarm Employment Under Trade Reform Evidence From Vietnam, 1993-2002," MPRA Paper 6476, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benson, Todd & Chamberlin, Jordan & Rhinehart, Ingrid, 2005. "Why the poor in rural Malawi are where they are: An Analysis of the Spatial Determinants of the Local Prevalence of Poverty," FCND discussion papers 198, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nguyen Viet, Cuong, 2005. "Targeting the Poor in Vietnam using a Small Area Estimation Method," MPRA Paper 25761, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Julie Litchfield & Thomas McGregor, 2008. "Poverty in Kagera, Tanzania: Characteristics, Causes and Constraints," PRUS Working Papers 42, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Dare Akerele & Siaka Momoh & Samuel A. Adewuyi & Biola B. Phillip & Olumuyiwa F. Ashaolu, 2012. "Socioeconomic determinants of poverty among urban households in South-West Nigeria," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 39(3), pages 168-181, March.
- Kirk, Michael & Tuan, Nguyen Do Anh, 2009. "Land-tenure policy reforms: Decollectivization and the Doi Moi system in Vietnam," IFPRI discussion papers 927, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nguyen, Cuong & Tran Ngoc, Truong & Van der Weide, Roy, 2009. "Rural Poverty and Inequality Maps in Vietnam: Estimation using Vietnam Household Living Standard Survey 2006 and Rural Agriculture and Fishery Census 2006," MPRA Paper 36378, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Minot, Nicholas & Baulch, Bob, 2004.
"Poverty Mapping with Aggregate Census Data: What is the Loss in Precision?,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Nicholas Minot & Bob Baulch, 2005. "Poverty Mapping with Aggregate Census Data: What is the Loss in Precision?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 5-24, 02.
- Yu, Bingxin & Zhu, Tingju & Breisinger, Clemens & Hai, Nguyen Manh, 2010. "Impacts of climate change on agriculture and policy options for adaptation," IFPRI discussion papers 1015, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Klump, R. & Prüfer, P., 2006. "Prioritizing Policies for Pro-Poor Growth: Applying Bayesian Model Averaging to Vietnam," Discussion Paper 2006-117, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.