Gender and Remittance Flows in Vietnam During Economic Transformation
AbstractSince the 1990s, Vietnam has experienced a dramatic growth in remittance flows. This paper uses the Vietnam Living Standard Surveys for 1992/93 and 1997/98 to study the role of gender in these remittance flows, both from the perspective of receiving and sending remittances. Knowing about gender differences will help to better explain the impact of remittances and to understand the nature of gender roles during a time of economic transformation. We find important distinctions, such as a responsibility among women for the intergenerational transfers of remittances (particularly between parents and children) while men tend to take more responsibility for intragenerational remittances. As well, after controlling for other factors and sharing remittances between spouses who live together, we find evidence that women have a higher likelihood to both send and receive remittances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies in its series GRIPS Discussion Papers with number 08-06.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 7-22-1 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan 106-8677
Web page: http://www.grips.ac.jp/r-center/en/discussion_papers/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Pfau, Wade Donald & Giang, Thanh Long, 2008. "Gender and Remittance Flows in Vietnam during Economic Transformation," MPRA Paper 18859, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D10 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - General
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- F24 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Remittances
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giang, Thanh Long & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2007. "The Elderly Population in Vietnam during Economic Transformation: An Overview," MPRA Paper 24948, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lucas, Robert E B & Stark, Oded, 1985. "Motivations to Remit: Evidence from Botswana," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 901-18, October.
- Pfau, Wade Donald & Giang, Thanh Long, 2009. "Remittances, Living Arrangements, and the Welfare of the Elderly," MPRA Paper 19121, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giang, Long Thanh & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2009. "A Gender Perspective on Elderly Work in Vietnam," MPRA Paper 24946, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.