Occupational Diversification And Access To Rural Employment: Revisiting The Non Farm Employment Debate
AbstractThere is a growing feeling of urgency for enlarging the ambit of non-farm activities for accelerating the pace of rural development, battering the employment prospects, augmenting productivity and earnings, alleviating poverty and redressing urban problem. It is important to note that what was once deemed as a passive side-route for employment growth is now vociferously recommended as the pivotal plan of a rural development strategy. It is in this context that this paper examines in detail the notion of rural non-farm sector. It explore the theoretical linkages between agricultural sector and the rural non-farm sector and examines in detail the factors may cause diversification towards the rural non-farm sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 7870.
Date of creation: 02 Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J01 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dirk Bezemer & Junior Davis, 2005. "The rural non-agricultural economy in transition countries: Enterprise level findings from Armenia," Development and Comp Systems 0510020, EconWPA.
- Islam, Nurul, 1997. "The nonfarm sector and rural development: review of issues and evidence," 2020 vision discussion papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 22, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hazell, Peter B. & Haggblade, Steven, 1990. "Rural - urban growth linkages in India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 430, The World Bank.
- Mridul Eapen, 1999. "Economic diversification in Kerala: A spatial analysis," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India 293, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Ho, Samuel P. S., 1982. "Economic development and rural industry in South Korea and Taiwan," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 10(11), pages 973-990, November.
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 2001. "The rural non-farm sector: issues and evidence from developing countries," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 1-23, October.
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 2001. "The rural non-farm sector: issues and evidence from developing countries," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 26(1), October.
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 1995. "Rural nonfarm employment : a survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1463, The World Bank.
- Vijay Mahajan & Bharti Gupta Ramola, 1996. "Financial services for the rural poor and women in India: Access and sustainability," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 211-224.
- Junior Davis & Angela Gaburici, 2005. "Non-farm employment in small-scale enterprises in Romania: policy and development issues," Development and Comp Systems 0510019, EconWPA.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 1997. "Food marketing liberalization and trader entry: Evidence from Madagascar," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 763-777, May.
- Possenti, Silvia, 2012. "Rural development strategies as a path to decent work and reducing urban informal employment : the case of South Africa," ILO Working Papers, International Labour Organization 479088, International Labour Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.