Rural - urban growth linkages in India
AbstractThe rural nonfarm economy accounts for one-quarter of all full-time employment in rural India and for nearly one-third of rural income, and is also intimately linked to agriculture. This paper examines the importance of rural-urban growth linkages in India, and aims to assess the impact of agricultural growth on national demand for nonfarm products. In addition, because growing land scarcity raises concerns about prospects for rural labor absorption, the paper highlights the impact of agricultural growth on rural nonfarm incomes and employment.Four major sections address these objectives. The first provides a descriptive overview of nonfarm activity in India. It examines the importance, composition and location of nonfarm activity as well as general trends over the past 30 years. The second explores the relationship between agriculture and changes in nonfarm activity. After reviewing previous growth linkage studies, it compares nonfarm activity in high- and low-productivity agricultural states cross-sectionally and over time. The third section estimates the volume of rural nonfarm income and employment generated by agricultural growth, while the fourth projects patterns of demand for nonfarm goods emanating from alternative agricultural growth scenarios.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 430.
Date of creation: 31 May 1990
Date of revision:
Environmental Economics&Policies; Economic Theory&Research; Achieving Shared Growth; Governance Indicators; Agricultural Knowledge&Information Systems;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abraham, Vinoj, 2011. "Agrarian distress and rural non-farm sector employment in India," MPRA Paper 35275, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McCulloch, Neil, 2003. "The impact of structural reforms on poverty : a simple methodology with extensions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3124, The World Bank.
- Fan, Shenggen & Jitsuchon, Somchai & Methakunnavut, Nuntaporn, 2004. "The importance of public investment for reducing rural poverty in middle-income countries," DSGD discussion papers 7, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 1995. "Rural nonfarm employment : a survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1463, The World Bank.
- Van der Walle, Dominique & Cratty, Dorothyjean, 2003.
"Is the emerging nonfarm market economy the route out of poverty in Vietnam?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2950, The World Bank.
- Dominique van de Walle & Dorothyjean Cratty, 2004. "Is the emerging non-farm market economy the route out of poverty in Vietnam?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(2), pages 237-274, 06.
- Mariapia MENDOLA, 2005.
"Agricultural technology and poverty reduction: a micro-level analysis of causal effects,"
Departmental Working Papers
2005-14, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Mariapia Mendola, 2003. "Agricultural Technology and Povertry Reduction: A Micro-Level Analysis of Causal Effects," Development Working Papers 179, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2013.
"Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland,"
Factor Markets Working Papers
178, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Jan Fałkowski & Maciej Jakubowski & Paweł Strawiński, 2011. "Returns from income strategies in rural Poland," Working Papers 2011-05, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2011. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114364, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Deichmann, Uwe & Shilpi, Forhad & Vakis, Renos, 2009. "Urban Proximity, Agricultural Potential and Rural Non-farm Employment: Evidence from Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 645-660, March.
- Prasada Mecharla, 2002. "The Determinants of Rural Non-Farm Employment in Two Villages of Andhra Pradesh (India)," PRUS Working Papers 12, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Ranjan, Sharad, 2006. "Occupational Diversification And Access To Rural Employment: Revisiting The Non Farm Employment Debate," MPRA Paper 7870, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Das Gupta, Monica & Grandvoinnet, Helene & Romani, Mattia, 2000. "State-community synergies in development : laying the basis for collective action," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2439, The World Bank.
- Luca Tiberti & Marco Tiberti, 2012. "Rural Policies and Poverty in Tanzania: an Agricultural Household Model-Based Assessment," Cahiers de recherche 1229, CIRPEE.
- Fan, Shenggen & Hazell, P. B. R. & Thorat, Sukhadeo, 1999. "Linkages between government spending, growth, and poverty in rural India:," Research reports 110, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Fan, Shenggen & Chan-Kang, Connie & Mukherjee, Anit, 2005. "Rural and urban dynamics and poverty: Evidence from China and India," FCND discussion papers 196, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 2001. "The rural non-farm sector: issues and evidence from developing countries," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 1-23, October.
- Islam, Nurul, 1997. "The nonfarm sector and rural development: review of issues and evidence," 2020 vision discussion papers 22, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lanjouw, Peter & Shariff, Abusaleh, 2002. "Rural non farm employment in India : Access, income and poverty impact," Working Papers 81, National Council of Applied Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.