Economic Development in Palanpur over Five Decades
AbstractThis book provides an account of economic development in Palanpur, a village in rural North India, based on five detailed surveys of the village over the period 1957 to 1993. These five decades have seen economic well-being rise in some important respects, but stagnation and even decline in other areas. The analysis presented here focuses on the reasons behind this uneven progress. The authors tie in the background issues of the evolution of poverty and inequality and mobility over time with causal factors such as technological progress, demographic and sectoral changes, the operation of markets, and the role of public action. The richness and unique nature of the qualitative and quantitative data collected and presented by Lanjouw and Stern yields an analysis which illuminates questions of direct importance to researchers in a wide variety of disciplines. Available in OSO: http://www.oxfordscholarship.com/oso/public/content/economicsfinance/0198288328/toc.html
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Oxford University Press in its series OUP Catalogue with number 9780198288329 and published in 1998.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.oup.com/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Rao, Vijayendra, 2011.
"Revisiting Between-Group Inequality Measurement: An Application to the Dynamics of Caste Inequality in Two Indian Villages,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 174-187, February.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Rao, Vijayendra, 2010. "Revisiting between-group inequality measurement : an application to the dynamics of caste inequality in two Indian villages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5337, The World Bank.
- Jayaraman, Rajshri & Lanjouw, Peter, 1999.
"The Evolution of Poverty and Inequality in Indian Villages,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 1-30, February.
- Jayraman, Raji & Lanjouw, Peter, 1998. "The evolution of poverty and inequality in Indian villages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1870, The World Bank.
- Lanjouw, Jean Olson, 1999. "Information and the operation of markets: tests based on a general equilibrium model of land leasing in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 497-527, December.
- Wendy Olsen, 2006.
"Pluralism, poverty and sharecropping: Cultivating open-mindedness in development studies,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(7), pages 1130-1157.
- Wendy Olsen, 2005. "Pluralism, Poverty and Sharecropping: Cultivating Open-Mindedness in Development Studies," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-008, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Kochar, Anjini, 2004. "Urban influences on rural schooling in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 113-136, June.
- Elbers, Chris & Lanjouw, Peter & Mistiaen, Johan & Özler, Berk & Simler, Kenneth, 2003.
"Are neighbors equal?,"
FCND discussion papers
147, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Elbers, Chris & Lanjouw, Peter & Mistiaen, Johan & Ozler, Berk & Simler, Kenneth, 2003. "Are Neighbours Equal? Estimating Local Inequality in Three Developing Countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Lanjouw, Peter, 2001. "The rural non-farm sector: issues and evidence from developing countries," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 1-23, October.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing & Nagarajan, Hari K., 2009.
"Determinants and Consequences of Land Sales Market Participation: Panel Evidence from India,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 410-421, February.
- Deininger, Klaus W. & Jin, Songqing & Nagarajan, Hari K., 2007. "Determinants and Consequences of Land Sales Market Participation: Panel Evidence from India," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9824, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing & Nagarajan, Hari K., 2007. "Determinants and consequences of land sales market participation : panel evidence from India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4323, The World Bank.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Shariff, Abusaleh, 2002. "Rural non farm employment in India : Access, income and poverty impact," Working Papers 81, National Council of Applied Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economics Book Marketing).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.